Rattled, Depressed and Frustrated

MyTurn2012
on 5/21/15 10:03 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

I'll be 4 weeks out tomorrow, yesterday I saw my NUT and then my surgeon for post op checkup. I told my NUT I was frustrated by what I'd lost this past 4 weeks ( including a week long stall at 2.5 weeks) ..which was 15lbs..in my head I should have lost 25-30lbs. I've been following my program as best I could..can only manage about 600cal, 60+gr of protein and 48oz water at this point. I keep busy, walk and rest when I need too.  She told me I was doing everything right, and it would take time to get up to 800-1000 cal a day and a minimum of 70gr protein...and not to worry too much about carbs and fat at this point. She also said it's not a race or a competition..everybody loses at a different pace..and given that at surgery I had only 100 pounds to lose it probably would be smaller numbers. I'm hard on myself and became obsessed with weighing myself everyday...which at first was exciting during preop watch a pound lost everyday of the 3 weeks I was on it...right after surgery about the same rates..until a week a ago where it's up and down the same 2 pounds!!! Argggggggg. 

Next was my appointment with my surgeon...I almost wished I hadn't gone because he put me in a really messed up mind state.  He immediately went into saying stuff like I want you to keep a diary of all the WRONG foods you've eaten and take it to your GP every two weeks to hold yourself accountable for the bad choices you'll make!! He went on and on about eating chips and cheesies and ice cream..which I HAVE NOT DONE.  My guess is he looked at my loss since surgery and came to a conclusion that I wasn't following the program!!!  I left there feeling my integrity was in question, and for me that is devastating. 

I feel beaten up actually, and I do a pretty good job of that myself...I am determined to be successful..even though I am fearful of failing...This morning I called a local dietician and am waiting for a call back...I'm hoping to work closely with her on a weekly basis so I can work this sleeve to the best advantage. I've been cleared to start back at the gym..slowly at first...intend to do cardio on treadmill and bike.

So my fellow sleevers thanks for listening to my rant! 

momsy55
on 5/21/15 10:16 am - ME

Hi My Turn.  First, you're doing great!  15 lbs in 4 weeks is wonderful!!  I just checked my health tracker to see how much I'd lost at 4 weeks.  It was 12 lbs from my day of surgery.  We all lose at our own pace, and for most, if not all of us, we're in this for the long haul.  I lost weight prior to surgery, which also contributed to a slower pace initially.  But it evened out, and I lost 120 in less than a year.  If you're at 4 weeks, and for the past week you've been yoyoing, you are probably going through the famous 3 week stall.  Your body has been through a lot and it takes time, not only to heal, but for your body to adjust to all of the changes.  Please try to not beat yourself up - it does absolutely no good.  Keep following the plan given to you and the weight will come off - some weeks very quickly, and others not so much, but it will happen!!  {{{{{Hugs}}}}}  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

MyTurn2012
on 5/21/15 11:31 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

Thank you Mary for your kind words!

winehead
on 5/21/15 11:18 am

if you follow your plan it will work, sounds like you are doing pretty good to me.  You can track your food , water and exercise with an app like myfitnesspal also.  Keep your chin up and keep at it.

MyTurn2012
on 5/21/15 11:30 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

Thanks! I do use MFP religiously ;-)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/21/15 11:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You're doing just fine. You've lost almost 4lb per week-- could you have done that BEFORE surgery? And kept it off?

Yes, it will take a while to lose everything, but keep it up and you can do it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MyTurn2012
on 5/21/15 11:59 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

Thank you!  I think more than anything it was the surgeon's attitude/comments that got to me most :-((

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/21/15 5:44 am, edited 5/21/15 8:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think you may reading too much into what your surgeon said.  He might have been warning you about foods that will derail you.  Keep in mind that many of us are overly sensitive soon after surgery as we release hormones held in our fat (search for "hormone dumping" in the magnifying glass on the right side of the title bar).

Everyone loses weight at a different rate due to various factors including how much weight you have to lose, age, medical conditions, etc.  And since you have only 100 lbs to lose, you will most likely lose weight slower than heavyweights like me 

It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things at this point.  I would suggest that you try to increase your water intake to as least 64 ounces per day.  You should be able to achieve this at four weeks post surgery.

If weighing yourself everyday causes emotional distress when you don't meet your expectations, you might consider weighing yourself once per week.  Our bodies will fluctuate and sometimes you'll even gain a pound.  Try to look at the long term picture instead of short term results.  Learning new healthy behaviors will sustain you down the road.  Fixating on scale numbers will only lead to aggravation  

Don't beat yourself up.  You're doing great.  You're making positive changes in your life and you will see the benefits the further out you go. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MyTurn2012
on 5/21/15 5:09 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

Thank you for your  support!  I don't think I was being overly sensitive..he never asked how I was doing with the food plan...never said anything positive..just right away in my face with all the negative pointed comments/directions. If he had of started out asking me how I was doing..asking me if I had any concerns..offered some support or positive reinforcement and then at the end saying things like beware of slider foods etc I would have accepted that as par for the course.

hollykim
on 5/21/15 2:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 21, 2015 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, MyTurn2012 wrote:

I'll be 4 weeks out tomorrow, yesterday I saw my NUT and then my surgeon for post op checkup. I told my NUT I was frustrated by what I'd lost this past 4 weeks ( including a week long stall at 2.5 weeks) ..which was 15lbs..in my head I should have lost 25-30lbs. I've been following my program as best I could..can only manage about 600cal, 60+gr of protein and 48oz water at this point. I keep busy, walk and rest when I need too.  She told me I was doing everything right, and it would take time to get up to 800-1000 cal a day and a minimum of 70gr protein...and not to worry too much about carbs and fat at this point. She also said it's not a race or a competition..everybody loses at a different pace..and given that at surgery I had only 100 pounds to lose it probably would be smaller numbers. I'm hard on myself and became obsessed with weighing myself everyday...which at first was exciting during preop watch a pound lost everyday of the 3 weeks I was on it...right after surgery about the same rates..until a week a ago where it's up and down the same 2 pounds!!! Argggggggg. 

Next was my appointment with my surgeon...I almost wished I hadn't gone because he put me in a really messed up mind state.  He immediately went into saying stuff like I want you to keep a diary of all the WRONG foods you've eaten and take it to your GP every two weeks to hold yourself accountable for the bad choices you'll make!! He went on and on about eating chips and cheesies and ice cream..which I HAVE NOT DONE.  My guess is he looked at my loss since surgery and came to a conclusion that I wasn't following the program!!!  I left there feeling my integrity was in question, and for me that is devastating. 

I feel beaten up actually, and I do a pretty good job of that myself...I am determined to be successful..even though I am fearful of failing...This morning I called a local dietician and am waiting for a call back...I'm hoping to work closely with her on a weekly basis so I can work this sleeve to the best advantage. I've been cleared to start back at the gym..slowly at first...intend to do cardio on treadmill and bike.

So my fellow sleevers thanks for listening to my rant! 

try toremember,your surgeon is not GOd. He is just a man. His reallynot worth you letting him make you feel inferior. 

When it starts feeling that way,just remind yourself that he puts his pants on one leg at a time just like you do and his s--t stinks too! 

Next time you see him,think about him sitting on the toilet. That should put things in perspective.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views