Measurement Questions

Lillydivine
on 5/21/15 5:16 pm, edited 5/21/15 5:26 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I had my first post op yesterday. It went very well. I've officially lost 32 lbs. This is encouraging to me. :)

My doctor said he doesn't use 'ounces', but prefers cups instead. And there is where my questions come in. He said I'm to eat no more than 1 cup (total) per meal. This includes protein, veggies, starch together. He said I can work up to the cup. (Thank God)

So, does 1 cup (level, not packed down) = 8 ounces? Does it matter what the food is? How should I do this - 1/2 cup protein and 1/2 cup of starch and veggies? Or should the cup be packed down?

Oh and I have my first post op with my NUT June 4th. The doctor couldn't believe I haven't had an appt. yet. No wonder I'm flying blind here. Lol

Also, what is the 3 week stall and 3 month hair loss?

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

Gwen M.
on 5/21/15 6:41 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you're talking about fluid ounces then, yes, a cup is 8 ounces.  If you're talking about weight ounces, then it varies.  I prefer to measure my food by weight, but you can certainly do it by volume - just be consistent :)

3 week stall - most people find there weight stalls at 3 weeks post-op.  I didn't, but I've had other stalls to make up for it.  The thing to remember is that stalls will happen even if you're doing everything right.  Just keep doing things right and the stall will end.  Eventually.  

Many people lose hair around 3-6 months.  It's due to anesthesia, caloric restriction, and a bunch of other things.  You can't stop it by taking magical miracle pills or products.  If you're going to lose hair, you're going to lose it.  It's best to get a haircut that minimizes the appearance of the loss and remember that it'll grow back eventually.  Again, I didn't experience this personally since I shaved my head to raise money for charity 6 weeks post-op.  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

poplargreys
on 5/21/15 7:43 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

My plan encourages measuring by volume, not weight, during the initial stages. I use measuring cups and spoons instead of a scale, and so far it has worked well for me, but many people use food scales. I do plan to get one soon so that I can measure out solid stuff like meat and fish.

mickeymantle
on 5/21/15 11:23 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

unless you have a very large sleeve for get about eating 1 cup at first most people take at least 1 year to eat that much solid food , liquids are another story that slips right thru

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 5/22/15 6:27 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

There was no way in hell I could eat 1 cup of food early out.  I can get 1 cup in now at 2 years out but it kind of depends on what it is I'm eating - sometimes it's less than that.  

Hair loss (google "telogen effluvium") tends to hit hardest in months 3-6.  If you experience hair loss that's typically when you'll see the most shedding.  After that the follicles wake back up and you'll see a slow down in shedding and new growth.  

Great job on losing 32 lbs! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views