Lessons learned: Two years post-op

Tracy D.
on 5/27/15 12:46 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My two-year surgiversary was May 24th so this is a few days late.  The last two years have brought an incredible amount of change to my life; in other, and more significant ways, nothing has changed.   

Tracy's Life Lessons via VSG: 

1.  Keep adding obesity-fighting tools until you've got everything you need. I'm a walking encyclopedia on nutrition; I have an unofficial PhD in exercise physiology; I can quote chapter and verse out of Overeaters Anonymous 12x12; I have smart doctors helping me; I'm a trained therapist for god's sake(!) and have years of therapy under my belt.  None of it ever kept me thin. Most of it didn't even get me close to being thin.    

Adding VSG gave me a very powerful tool that made all the other ones much more effective. If you are struggling, add some tools to your toolbelt! 

2.  I am a compulsive eater with a food addiction.  Born this way, never to be cured.  Each day I don't stuff my face with sugar or flour is a gift.  I am only given this gift by being in "fit, spiritual condition".  Figure out what that means for you and get there.   

3.  Sugar, flour and diet soda are the devil's playground.  I dabble with the unholy trinity to my detriment much too often. 

4.  Months 1-18 are the honeymoon period.  Months 18-24 are where it gets real, really fast.  I've had 7-10 lbs. of regain in the last 6 months and it ain't from muscle, folks.  And it's no secret why...

5.  ..it really is all about the carbs.  I'm a firm believer that my body is fundamentally broken and does not process high-glycemic carbs like a normal person. Never has. I'm working out harder than ever and not eating a lot more.  But I started eating differently and - boom! - regain.  I know what to do but it's humbling to realize how easily it can happen. 

6.  I will be fighting the battle against obesity until my last breath....and that's OK.  After working in social services and healthcare for most of my life, I can say with certainty that "I gots no problems"!  I'll keep the hand I was dealt in this life, thank you very much, and be grateful for it.   

7.  I am married to the most supportive, unselfish, loving man on the planet.  And for some crazy reason he loves me unconditionally.  Believe me, I'm no picnic!  The man will go straight to heaven when he takes his last breath 

If nothing else, the last two years have been a master class in discovering myself - the good, bad and ugly.  Figuring out who I am, what motivates and inspires me as well as what sucks the life and energy out of me.  It's been quite a ride and I'm excited to see where I'm headed next on the journey.  Thanks to all of you for coming along for the ride! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dan1962
on 5/27/15 4:01 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Great post!.  I'm so close to goal I can taste it....but the unknown of maintenance is scary.  Thanks for the heads up and I wish you continued success!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/15 5:22 pm

What a wonderful 2 year post! Thanks so much for putting it out there.

I am very much in agreement with all your points, but particularly #1. I wish I had had the foresight to include therapy during my initial weight loss, but then again, I couldn't afford it then and I can now. Therapy is helping and I very much credit getting my VSG with my awakening and full admission and acceptance that I have problems with food.

I think along with arming oneself with tools, it's also paramount to honestly acknowledge and accept one's food issues (however you wish to label them - addiction, reactive, habitual, issues, etc....). I spent so much time trying to denounce and control my food issues and abuse that I never took the time to look at why I had the issues and how to honor the person who abused food to survive on a deeply rooted emotional level. I am finding it very freeing now that I have been working through some of the complexity of my emotional eating behaviors.

While I agree with you about the high glycemic index carbs and the highly refined crap food-sugar-fat-flour carbs, I wonder how your body reacts to honest whole grain carbs like steel cut oatmeal. Have you tried that to see your reaction - physically and emotionally? I find I am able to eat true whole grains without reaction.

I am very lucky, I suppose, that diet soda was never a thing for me. I also never really drank with meals. Before yes. After sometimes. I feel for those who have to kick that habit, too!

Wait until you hit 3 years out. Whew! Eye opening.

Thank you for always being there and being a great support! I appreciate all your feed back over the past 2 plus years!

Always fondly!

Tracy D.
on 5/28/15 5:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thank you for your all your support and sharing the last two years, Devon!  You have helped me more than you can imagine :-)  

The true whole-grain carbs tend not to be as big of a problem in terms of cravings.  I've been able to do Wasa crackers once in awhile and 1/2 c. of cooked steel cut oats.  They do tend to make my blood sugar go a bit higher than I like but nothing like what occurs if I eat a dinner roll or sandwich bread.  

Year 3 is going to be spent dealing with recovery from plastics (July 8th).  I'm set for a LBL with a good doctor in Kansas City.  My challenge will be to stay focused on eating right and getting back into exercise-mode once I'm cleared for activity.  I'm a little nervous about the "no core work" restriction for the first 3 months 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Stacy_WLS
on 5/27/15 6:36 pm

This is a great post!  Thank you :)

This is a masters class in discovering myself for sure.  Losing the weight doesn't change anything but our size.  Figuring out why we are how we are and why we do what we do is necesary (I think) for changing what we do.  It is hard... Ugh!  But getting to the other side of it will be worth it!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

frisco
on 5/27/15 6:58 pm

Congrats on 2 years !!!

Great post !!!

I like to key on great words/phrases from great posts like yours......

"The good, bad and ugly" is my take away phrase from you and it pretty much sums up what this process is all about !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tracy D.
on 5/28/15 5:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thanks, Frisco!  I'm very grateful that I found this site right after surgery and that I was able to read your "Pyloric Valve 101" post shortly after that.  It's an vital piece of information that I needed but never heard from any of my  medical professionals.  

psychoticparrot
on 5/27/15 7:16 pm

2.  I am a compulsive eater with a food addiction.  Born this way, never to be cured.  Each day I don't stuff my face with sugar or flour is a gift.  I am only given this gift by being in "fit, spiritual condition".  Figure out what that means for you and get there.  

This point and #3 are like bible and verse to me now. Thanks for listing what obesity truly is and how to continue to fight against compulsive overeating. I hope I do as well as you.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Tracy D.
on 5/28/15 5:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm glad that something I shared resonated with you :-)  On good days I remember these things and I have serenity and peace around food.  On bad days I completely forget that I'm a compulsive eater, I pretend I'm normal and then live to regret the consequences.  

The important part is that when you get knocked down (or in my case, trip myself up) that you get back up.  Every. Single. Time. 

Keep fighting the good fight, my friend 

Loser2542
on 5/28/15 6:05 am

I've benefited from the encyclopedia of Tracy countless times. Thanks for sharing your life lessons now as well as all of the helpful advice and encouragement you provide so often. 

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views