6 month sleeve update

navyrob74
on 5/22/15 9:57 am - Pasadena, MD

It has been awhile since I last posted so I figured I will give some updates on the last 6 months of having my sleeve. First off the good things. Losing 100+ lbs has been amazing. I feel like I have gained 10 years back on my life. I no longer have to take my blood pressure or diabetes medication. And the sleep apnea is gone. My activity level has increased 100 fold and I can now go out and run around with my kids without getting tired or winded. My relationship with my wife has also gotten alot better in more ways then one.  I can go and buy clothes in normal stores and get things of the rack that fit and dont get those looks like what are you doing in here. Anyone who has ever been over weight knows exactly what I am talking about . Some stores are not very friendly when it comes to over weight people.

Now the bad. I sometime really miss eating. I know it sounds strange but sometimes I wish I could just have one day to eat normal things again without the feeling of getting sick if I overeat.  I have learned the hard way that there is going to be certain food that I will never be able to eat again ( Pizza, Hamburgers and Coldcuts) but they got me to where I was in the first place so I guess in the scale if things its not that bad. But honestly the worst thing has been the emotional roller coaster that losing this weight has caused.  When you used to eat as a way to deal with emotions and you can no longer do that it really makes you deal with problems and that can be a really hard thing.

In closing, Yes I am glad I had the surgery. Everyday I wake up and smile thinking about the day ahead of me, something that was really missing in my life for a real long time. But I would really recommend to anyone thinking about doing this is to really think about what you are doing this is not an overnight fix and the problems that may have caused you to gain weight will still be there afterwords. Yes you physically cannot eat away your feelings anymore but they are still there. And you will have to find ways to deal with them. Something I have had to learn the hard way. But if you stay focused and do the program it will work and its like getting a secind chance at life.

Tracy D.
on 5/22/15 10:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Congrats, Rob, on doing a FANTASTIC job these first 6 months!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mmsmom
on 5/22/15 10:08 am - Woburn, MA

Sometimes you can make alternates to the things you miss - i.e., I buy spring roll wrappers (25-30 calories and paper thin) and fill them with anything you would have formerly made a sub out of - like thin steak, cold cuts etc... bake instead of frying and you have a smaller sub/sandwich

As for pizza, if I make it myself with thin crust, I can eat about 3/4 of a slice - yummy.  What you eat is up to you and I am not trying to get you to eat something you are not comfortable with, just saying that in time you can find a way to get the same flavor without all the calories and bulk.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Ready2goNOW
on 5/22/15 3:53 pm

Congratulations!

I always look to read the 'success' stories here as I need the inspiration & knowledge reinforced that this can work if you work it!

sounds like you definitely fit in that category!

Kathy

Dan1962
on 5/22/15 4:59 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I have felt many of the things you have felt.  Today I had a half day free.  In the old days I would have had a big lunch with lots of carbs and an afternoon of drinking after.  Today I had a buffalo chicken wrap with 1/2 a mick ultra.....sad I know but I can't drink after I eat now.  Then I fished for 4 hours and it was fun and I didn't land anything!  New activities have saved me and it helps push out those old habits!  Good luck!

November18
on 5/23/15 5:35 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Congratulations on your success and thank you for your honest sharing. It helps!!

Bonnie

happytoloose
on 5/23/15 2:01 pm

Way to go Rob!

I am right in the same bracket that you are as of now.

I started this journey at a whopping 490 lbs. Now down around the 320 mark, and still going strong at 7 months out.

Finally got that NFL linebacker off my back. lol

I am at the point that I can tolerate just about anything food wise now, just in smaller quantities, no more bingeing. All in moderation.

I don't feel like im depriving myself at all any more.

I do a 5-2 program now where I do 1000- 1200 calories a day for 5 days, then cut back to 600 for two days. Not as many stalls as there were early on. loosing about 1/2 lb a day average now.

That halfway point was a big one for me as well. got about 70 to go to reach my DR.s goal, but looking past that for my personel preference.

It truly is getting easier every day. Keep up the good work my friend, see ya on the skinny side in a few months.

I LOVE MY SLEEVE!

Rod

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views