Approved for surgery!!!

Jennifer J.
on 5/26/15 6:15 pm - Manassas, VA
with

today I finally received my approval letter from bcbs. I was starting to get nervous since I had gotten denied the first time I submitted my documents. I'm excited and nervous but I'm so ready to make this change! Now I'm just waiting to see if my surgical coordinator contacts me. Please tell me about your experiences and what to expect! 

Mary B.
on 5/26/15 9:37 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

The next thing that should happen is getting a surgery date at least a few weeks ahead.  If you have any tests that need to be completed, those would have to be done.  At the next appointment I had with my surgeon and his staff, I got prescriptions for blood thinners to avoid blood clots, anti-nausea drugs, a heavy-duty pain killer and patches to relieve nausea.  Then the surgeon went over the procedure in more detail than before.  I met with the NUT and got my pre-op and post-op diet plans.  I also met with the nurse who went over the medical release and pre-op instructions and post-op restrictions on daily activities.

Next, I stuck to the 2 week pre-op diet which reduces fat around the liver.  Every surgeon has his own diet plan so I have no idea what you will have to adhere to.

I was 1st in line for surgery.  I met with the surgical nurse, the anesthesiologist and the surgeon before they wheeled me into the operating room.  The next thing I remember was waking up in my hospital room.  I was very lucky and had no pain or gas and no problem drinking.  I walked around and around the floor mostly from boredom.  I stayed overnight.  The next day the assistant surgeon removed the drain (boy, is that a strange feeling) and I was discharged.  I never needed the pain meds and was glad I hadn't filled the prescription.  I had a ride home but drove the next day since I wasn't on any pain meds.

I had a full liquid diet for a week and now I am in the 3rd week of a pureed diet. I move on to the "forever" diet in week 7.  I can't wait for that because the protein should fill me up better than the pureed food.  I have been eating more than 5 times a day.

I hope I've given you the information you want.

Congratulations and good luck.  

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

cappy11448
on 5/27/15 4:46 am

congratulations on your approval.  if I were you, I'd be calling the Surgical Coordinator today! hehehe.

Best of luck with your surgery.  You'll do great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Smallbites2015
on 5/27/15 6:23 pm

Congratulations!!!

Most Active