Thoughts on AdvoCare?

rissa1224
on 5/27/15 11:49 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I know nothing really about this AdvoCare shindig. I am going along with a friend to Philly on Saturday for some seminar. She is into it - which is great, she has 3 kids - youngest is almost 6 months old. She has come so far and been successful with it. The person she is buying under of course found out I am going and wants to talk to me, and im sure everyone else there will try to corrupt me. I really hate these things that require you buying products and using them and then they try to get you suckered into being a sales person blah blah. 

But out of curiosity, has anyone done this? From what shes quickly explained its a few random challenges here and there for like 24 days, but she said you take vitamins and supplements before you eat each meal. I have no idea, but I am just curious! Her seller said that she has a lady who also had bariatric surgery who does it, so thats what got me curious. 

Gwen M.
on 5/27/15 12:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

In general, I try to avoid MLM products.  So I wouldn't do it.  It just seems too scammy.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rissa1224
on 5/27/15 12:32 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Thats what I feel. I am extremely stuck right now, like Gained 20lbs since last year. I even saw a new surgeon 2 weeks ago to see if i am okay, and he said because i lost SO much weight in such a short time, its my body still adjusting. But I still dont like seeing the number. I just wont result to a product like this. I know what I gotta do, I just have to do it. Thanks for the input!

Gwen M.
on 5/27/15 12:34 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I hear you - we all know what we need to do, but I think there's always that hope that there's some magical product that will make it easier.  (Well, there is.. it's called WLS.) ;)  But it's good to realize that your sleeve still works and you can get back on track.  It just takes hard work.  You CAN do it :D  Heck, WE CAN all do it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 5/27/15 1:05 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm a coach at my local FXB gym.  As part of my duties I have to review all my student's food logs every week.  There's one guy there who keeps logging Advocare shakes and Spark drinks.  They are really, really high in carb.  I would never recommend these for a post-op bariatric patient.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GooseGirl
on 5/27/15 2:15 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

One of the groups that I am working out with is BIG time into Advocare. They all swear by it. I told them that I appreciated the information but I was working closely with my doctors and surgeon on my dietary plan. They were cool with that and there hasn't been any pressure. I think this product, like a lot of the shakes, fads or supplements tend to be temporary. The plan given to me by my surgeon and dietitian is the one that seems most realistic in the long term. 

David F.
on 5/27/15 3:52 pm - Henderson, NV

I have a friend that sells this and said I should too but I said I was already on a plan that is working for me. I don't like those kinds of things. Before I had the surgery I tried meeting with a trainer to lose weight and she kept pushing products that she was trying to sell. 

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/15 7:49 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

As for the products, I have no idea. But I avoid all MLM on principle. You'd make more money betting someone who sells MLM products that they wouldn't make any money after a year than you would selling any of the stuff. It's seriously a 99% chance you'll lose money.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/28/15 5:21 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I always say if the product is so awesome and sells so great then why do I need to buy so much of myself? That is how these places truly make money they get people to sign up as salespeople but they have to buy x amount of product every month. Then they start a chain of people below them doing the same thing. The main ones who make the most money are the people all the way at the top.

ragincajun
on 5/29/15 2:42 pm

Its a MLM sam, like they all are.  Like anything, when you do it at first there are benefits.  But, over time, all the same issues rise up and undermine success.

WLS is the solution for those of us who need a key tool in the tool box to eradicate physical hunger and we can draw strength and confidence from the weight loss that ensues.  This becomes a key enabler to take control over food, and reverse the years of food controlling us.

-RC-

Most Active