Hemp seed blend for energy bars, nutritional health & drug testing thoughts?

happyteacher
on 6/21/15 9:44 am

I was at Eastern market this weekend and found a lady selling Lady Jane Galaxseed energy bar mix. You dump the bag of mix, add 1/2 cup sweetner of choice (agave, honey, maple syrup, etc.), press into a pan, cut into bars, refrigerate and done. What caught my attention was the nutrition profile and my recent interest in reading up on the benefits (medicinally speaking- seriously, not a ploy to smoke pot) of marijuana. I would never consider smoking pot, so I asked her if in anyway this product would cause one to fail a drug test- she said no, given there is no THC in the product. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, so I am asking for peoples thoughts. This is not exactly weight loss friendly phase stuff, so please consider that I am in maintenance.

The mix is a blend of hemp seeds, raw sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and sea salt. It is fairly tasty once prepared, but I wouldn't say that one bar is filling/satiating. Hence, easy snack I suppose but not a meal replacement. It also does not hit my general goal of 1 gram protein to 10 grams of calorie- but I will let that slide given the other potential nutritional benefits. What do you think- snake oil as far as being nutritionally sound and good for health? Can anyone confirm that there would be no issues with drug testing or the like? 

Nutritional profile of the bars made with agave:

179 cal

22 carb

12 sugar

8 protein

8 fiber

13% iron

23% calcium

2% vitamin e

21% thiamine

10% riboflavin

7% niacin

7% B6

12% folate

18% phophorus

28% magnesium

12% zinc

21% copper

77% manganese

3% potassium

1% sodium

0 cholesterol

6.7 fat- no trans

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Shel25
on 6/21/15 10:46 am

Hi, I'm involved a bit with drug testing.   From one of my resources:

"For example, detectable levels of cannabinoids after ingestion of hemp-containing foods with immunoassay have been reported. Levels of cannabinoids in these samples, however, were not detectable with GC-MS"

The immunoassay it is referring to is the most commonly used urine drug screen because it is cheap and fast.  It is also more prone to false-positives than some other tests.   The GC-MS is can also be ordered from that same urine test to confirm the result but is much more expensive and takes time to process. 

So, it looks like if you decided to use the hemp, ultimately your drug screen would turn out ok once it was run thru GC-MS.  But that GC-MS test in my neck of the woods can run hundreds of dollars and is generally not covered by insurance.

I live in Washington where marijuana is legal.  Because of that we don't include a screen for marijuana when drug testing so I don't have any personal experience with someone claiming that "It was hemp! I swear it!" 

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

rselenesu
on 6/21/15 1:57 pm
VSG on 07/15/13

I don't know about the drug testing, but cannot imagine it would cause anyone to come up positive.  I eat hemp fairly often in various form (powder, hearts, roasted seeds) and love it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/15 12:04 pm

IMO, not an option for weight loss phase.

Maintenance, sure, but given the high carb content, especially the sugar load, it could be a slippery slope for some (myself included!). I do not find nuts at all filling and add the sugar I think for me this would be a triggery treat!

Now, for agave syrup. I beseech you to do the research on it. I think you will be amazed to find what a highly processed UN-NATURAL food product it is. It is the this century's equivalent of high fructose corn syrup. (Yes, I'm opinionated as hell on this one!)

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/15 12:12 pm

I think she is in maintenance.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/15 12:21 pm

Oh, I know she's in maintenance. HappyTeacher has been around for ages. She and I have had many discussions on food over the past few years. Given her health history, I wanted to encourage her to research the agave syrup in particular.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/15 12:38 pm

yea.. agave syrup.. glorified fructose.. 

I hate seeing it in stores.. with a huge sign "organic" .. ugh.. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/15 12:11 pm

eating hemp shall not cause you failing drug test. Poppy seed cake or muffin may.

Most Active