So strange!

ipray
on 7/2/15 7:27 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Cheating for me used to be eating a pint or more of ice cream, 1/2 a pizza or more, a whole bag of chips, etc. Well, you get the idea. Now cheating is a few extra nuts or an extra square of cheese. Just so strange how this surgery has changed my perception of cheating. I feel just as guilty having a few extra nuts as eating 1/2 or more of a pizza. 8 months out and still trying to learn how to deal with the extreme changes of my new life. (No regrets, just still trying to come to terms with the extreme changes from my previous life).

thallnc
on 7/3/15 4:23 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Funny...I was thinking the same thing this week. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

happyteacher
on 7/3/15 6:19 am

Ahhh.... cheating. I spent a lot of time reflecting on this at one point during the weight loss phase and again into maintenance. It took me a while, but I finally realized that at least for me framing it as cheating was absolutely counterproductive. I am an all or nothing, goal oriented, perfectionist type. Prior to surgery it was always the same cycle... perfect dieting, cheat, fall of the wagon, gain it all back, repeat. First, I needed to learn how to crawl back on the wagon. It happens. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it likely will at some point. Don't beat yourself up over it. Don't stick your head in the sand either. I have also decided that cheating is a myth. There are good choices, bad choices and a lot in between. I finaly switched from the cheating/all or nothing mindset to one of consistency. I work toward 90% consistency, set a trigger weight of 195 that kick starts the weight loss phase until back under, and work to be mindful and gentle with myself. I feel so much better about eating and am freed from the guilt that I used to constantly beat myself up with. Don't get me wrong- I have at times completely fallen off the wagon. I now have the skill set to get back on and keep going. Life is too short to waste all that emotional energy on negative feelings- use that emotional energy to make something positive happen for yourself instead!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ipray
on 7/4/15 8:18 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I love your way of thinking! Instead of looking at it as cheating and then dealing with the guilt and negative feelings, it is actually about choices. There are good choices and bad choices and if you have made a bad choice, get over it.  (I will Channel Cher from the movie Moonstruck and tell myself to "Get Over It!" then move on to healthier choices.  Thank you for the inspiration!  

psychoticparrot
on 7/3/15 3:17 pm

I don't look at it as "cheating" anymore. It's too harsh a term and makes you feel like a loser (and I don't mean weight-wise). Nobody can (or should) be that perfect about their diet.

I agree with your definition of what constitutes eating above and beyond what you should. A few nuts -- that wouldn't have even counted as a snack for me, pre-surgery. And I found that since I've been eating very healthy, low-fat, high-quality food for months now, when I do have something I shouldn't (like those two mini-cupcakes the other day), it physically makes me feel queasy and uncomfortable for hours. Emotionally, I accept that I ate something I shouldn't have, and get back on the plan immediately.

Thank you, Oh Great Sleeve, for helping me stay on the path of righteous food!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

ipray
on 7/4/15 8:28 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I agree with the cheating/loser association. I really need to get beyond the old ways of thinking!  Hearing from people like you who have come to terms with living the sleeved life and that share their experiences is so helpful!  This journey is not only about following the sleeve diet (diet, another bad word association!) but also changing your mental views and being more mindful about how you approach and handle being sleeved as well. What a journey it is!  Thank you for your helpful insight!

Most Active