Only Hours Away Now!

NikkiL2015
on 7/5/15 4:53 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I'm down to only about 12 hours away from my VSG surgery now! I'm getting rather anxious.  I'm having so many mixed emotions right now.... Did I make the right choice in which surgery to get, am I going to be ok? Am I going to be successful?  Am I going to regret this? Is this going to hurt, if so is it unbearable? I have never had surgery for anything in my life, oh wow..... so many things going on right now!!!

psychoticparrot
on 7/5/15 5:15 pm

Hi Nikki,

You've got the pre-surgery jitters, just like all of us post-surgery sleevers had. You wouldn't be human if you didn't experience some nervousness about the procedure.

At the hospital, the nurses and assistants will tell you what they are doing and why (if they don't, ask them). If you have pain, push the call button on your bed and ask for meds. They'll probably give them via your IV or injections without your having to ask. I had a morphine pump, which allowed me to adjust the amount to my own pain. Not everyone has pain. I was just a little sore around the incision sites. For me the surgery and hospital stay were a breeze; recovery afterward can be a little rocky.

During your recovery period, which can last from 4-8 weeks post-op, you'll have ups and downs as you heal and adjust to your new svelte stomach. You probably will have moments when you intensely regret having the surgery. All part of normal recovery. As you go from stage to stage from pureed to regular food, you'll be making adjustments along the way.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't feel like doing jumping jacks for a while post-op. This is major surgery. Give yourself time to recover. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

NikkiL2015
on 7/5/15 5:39 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Thank you so much! Last night was hard as all the family got to "pig out" on S'mores and cook out and I'm on liquid... but hey, as soon as I felt that pain in my knees and back to get up and down, I no longer felt jealous!!! 

NadiaO
on 7/5/15 5:20 pm

Hi .. i am still waiting for my call but im sure what u are feeling is normal 

Shel25
on 7/5/15 5:25 pm

Hi Nikki, 

Your worries look awfully familiar to me!  Who doesn't worry when they are looking at surgery, especially when it is somewhat optional and maybe a dash of guilt tossed in because we weren't able to lose and keep the weight off on our own?  

For myself, I had very little pain post surgery (never used pain meds when I got home.) I love my sleeve and have absolutely no regrets.  Now 7 months out from surgery, I can hardly express how much more EASY my life is.  Yesterday, I felt like weeping with gratitude (I am a softie) all during a 4th of July parade.  Pre VSG, I would have never been able to hike a mile to the parade carrying a chair THAT I FIT COMFORTABLY in! 

Think about how great you are going to feel!  Let us know how you do. 

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

ChubbyHubby82
on 7/6/15 12:35 am
VSG on 07/06/15

I am hours away myself and I would be lying if those same thoughts were not lurking in the back of my mind. I think, I am just ready for it and have been working towards this and soon this procedure will be a distant memory when we get to know our new selves. 

Most Active