no labs before surgery??? hmmm should I call Dr??

gwen41539
on 7/2/15 7:44 am - kimper, KY

I have  My surgery date but I'm wondering if he may have forgotten to order labs?? I though they always made u get some.right before surgery should I call.and.ask? He gave me some antibiotics to take the night before 2 different kinds of antibacterial ones anyone else take these before surgery? 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

emelar
on 7/2/15 7:51 am - TX

They'll draw blood at the hospital when you go for pre-admission.  They'll also do a chest x-ray and a quick EKG.  The bloodwork is a limited panel to make sure there are no problems for surgery in general.  If you want the full panel to use as a benchmark, ask your doc.  It probably just comes down to a question of whether your insurance will pay for it or not.

wyo_sarah
on 7/2/15 10:08 am

I had to do a few pregnancy tests (I think 3 in all) but that was it.  I didn't have an EKG, chest x-ray, or any other labs.

ceecart
on 7/2/15 11:02 am
VSG on 06/23/15

When you go for your pre op apps- Dr's and Hospital they will do labs plus pregnancy tests.  When is your surgery?  Congratulations

gwen41539
on 7/2/15 11:12 am - kimper, KY

July 13th and I remember from my Lap band they make.you do pregnancy pre test and ekg etc im getting nervous I guess lol I wonder how.much food stuff I will need broth ,jello.etc I know I won't be eatting much and protein shakes I have some but I wonder if it's enough lol I don't wanna over.kill but don't wanna run out either..

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

ChubbyHubby82
on 7/2/15 6:14 am, edited 7/2/15 6:14 am
VSG on 07/06/15

My pre-admission testing was a full day and included my bariatric surgery education class and it was a crap ton of blood work, ultrasound of my stomach, gall bladder, pancreas, kidneys, and liver. I also had a chest x-ray, upper GI with contrast (That was fun...NOT!!), an EKG, arterial blood gas draw, and a pulmonary function test.

I am not taking any antibiotics but do have to take a shower with an antimicrobial wash the night before and day of my procedures. 

At the end of the day every hospital and doctor is different. There have been many here that have said when in doubt ask...I will echo them...it does not hurt to ask. 

grayC
on 7/2/15 7:38 am, edited 7/2/15 7:39 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I had to do a stress test , lung function,  endoscopy and psych.

Before for qualifying,but no blood draws

and a pregnancy test morning of, to which I stated,

if that stick turns blue just transfer me to the psyc ward!!

They will also test your blood pressure and sugar the day of and my dr made it clear

if BP is high or sugar over 200 he cancels

Most Active