Getting discouraged

kerbear1969
on 7/5/15 2:24 pm - MD

Multiple persons, including my primary doctor have told me to go for RNY surgery vs VSG.  I've had my mind made up for awhile on going for the VSG and now am doubting myself.  Every person who has said that told me I will end up getting RNY because I will not loose the weight with VSG.  I have 130lbs to lose.  I feel so discouraged.

Daelcare
on 7/5/15 2:32 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

You have to make the best decision for yourself based on the best information that you have.  This forum is a great place for that info!  The other thing is your own commitment to the process...and it is a process!!  It is not a quick or magic cure!  I am eternally grateful that I went with VSG...would not have done RNY!  Good luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/5/15 3:08 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon gave me the option of either surgery and I have much more to lose than you do.  According to my surgeon you lose more weight initially with the RNY but at the two year point the weight lost is similar.

Ultimately it's your body, your decision.  If your surgeon is pushing you towards the RNY, he may be more experienced performing that than the VSG.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Bella_Fein
on 7/5/15 3:27 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

My thoughts lead to this point as well. Is your surgeon pushing for RNY because he truly knows you and thinks this will work better or is he pushing you towards this because of his own personal reasons (i.e. his lack of experience with VSG)?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ElizaM
on 7/5/15 3:17 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

People can be equally successful with either surgery. There may be valid medical reasons to go with one surgery over the other (such as GERD--VSG can make it worse, RNY makes it better) but if it's just someone's belief that RNY is more effective, I would question that assumption. Many PCPs, including my own, just think of RNY as the "gold standard." They aren't necessarily up to date on the surgical options. Your surgeon would be the most important person to get feedback on it. Many people on this board have lost more than 130lbs with the sleeve.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Gwen M.
on 7/5/15 3:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What does your surgeon say?  That's really the only medical opinion I'd trust in this situation.  (And I certainly wouldn't be swayed by what random non-medical people say!)  

I had my VSG 16 months ago and I've lost 140 pounds so far.  I had no issues (like GERD or Barrett's esophagus) that would have made VSG a non-option.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 7/5/15 4:03 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I lost 175 lb and still losing with the sleeve , the rny does not work as well after 2 years as the sleeve and the sleeve can be converted to the ds if you are not losing , if you get the vsg and stay on plan you will lose

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Hislady
on 7/5/15 4:20 pm - Vancouver, WA

I agree after 12-24 mos the RNYer will start losing the malabsorbtion aspect and be stuck with just their pouch and their hunger. With the VSG you will still have your sleeve and hopefully your lack of hunger for the rest of your life PLUS the option of DS if you are needing more help with the weight loss. With the RNY the only thing they can do is have their surgery undone and revise to a DS, that is no small or safe feat, you will need a special surgeon! You will already be half way there with your sleeve in place. The sleeve is for sure your best option!!! Don't second guess yourself!

psychoticparrot
on 7/5/15 4:54 pm

I had 150 pounds to lose. With the sleeve, I'm almost halfway there, five months after surgery. Anyone who tells you VSG doesn't work doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Check online for stats comparing VSG with RNY. They're neck-to-neck in weight-loss effectiveness. Don't have a surgery you don't feel confident about. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

mickeymantle
on 7/5/15 5:54 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I am 2 years out and rarely have any hunger and a few bites end that

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active