2 weeks out...no issues.. but questions

micrene
on 7/22/15 9:22 pm - Melbourne, FL

Hello!

I just found this site a few days ago and really enjoy reading through everything.  I am going on 3 weeks out and have a couple of questions.

• Why do some foods or soups feel like they get stuck right at my breast bone and sit there for a bit with a bunch of tiny burps after only a few bites,  and stay there for a while...where other things don't affect me at all?
  • Some days I am able to get most of my liquids in and other days I simply don't want anything.
  • Saturday starts soft foods.... I can't wait...(I have been experimenting with various things already without issues), but at what point in weeks out can I start to have more than an ounce or ounce and a half of food without pain or the burping?
  • I had my surgery in Mexico so I do not have a dietician to help with the transition although my regular doctor is super supportive and has scheduled follow-ups for testing as needed.  How can I get more dietician type information to help me transition?

I realize everyone's journey and healing are different, but I am just looking for average timeframe so I have something to go by.

Thank you in advance!

frisco
on 7/22/15 10:21 pm

I'm reading your post like this.....

You have initial instructions and your not following them..... and your having pain.....

No bueno.....

And you have no post-op plan.....

And you had surgery in Mexico with no support or communication?

Sorry to sound negative, just hope you can get it worked out, it's all you from here on out.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

micrene
on 7/23/15 6:34 am - Melbourne, FL

Yes I have instructions, and YES I am following them.  You are reading wrong.  I simply stated I have experimented with a few things meaning soft foods that to which is the stage I am at.  Example: hard boiled egg

I am not having pain.  Again you read it wrong... I have some discomfort after ingesting certain things such as thicker liquid soup however a thicker liquid shake does not produce the same discomfort.  I am just wondering why and is it something that will dissipate over time.

My post op plan is with my regular doctor but she is not nutritionist. Again you read it wrong as I do have support from my surgeon but I can't go see him for any face-to-face consultations I might want. I was asking for local options, but I will check with my insurance because the other post gave me a great idea.

I asked these questions honestly to get feedback, not slapped in the face.  Your post was not helpful at all. Stop assuming the worst and be a little more objective.   Everyone is human and people do things differently to get to the same goal.

Tracy D.
on 7/23/15 11:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hard boiled egg was one of the hardest things I tried when I got to soft foods -- just too dry and would get stuck.  You may want to go with  a scrambled egg for awhile.  

Everyone's sleeve is different.  Some people eat everything with no issues and others find certain foods always cause problems.  I had to avoid all of the greasier meats and acidic foods in the beginning - instant nausea.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

frisco
on 7/24/15 9:39 am
On July 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM Pacific Time, micrene wrote:

Yes I have instructions, and YES I am following them.  You are reading wrong.  I simply stated I have experimented with a few things meaning soft foods that to which is the stage I am at.  Example: hard boiled egg

I am not having pain.  Again you read it wrong... I have some discomfort after ingesting certain things such as thicker liquid soup however a thicker liquid shake does not produce the same discomfort.  I am just wondering why and is it something that will dissipate over time.

My post op plan is with my regular doctor but she is not nutritionist. Again you read it wrong as I do have support from my surgeon but I can't go see him for any face-to-face consultations I might want. I was asking for local options, but I will check with my insurance because the other post gave me a great idea.

I asked these questions honestly to get feedback, not slapped in the face.  Your post was not helpful at all. Stop assuming the worst and be a little more objective.   Everyone is human and people do things differently to get to the same goal.

Do what your going to do.

The food progression is in place for the most important stage of this process, healing.

Having people thinking that "Experimenting" at 2 weeks out is OK, is flat out dangerous.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

NYMom222
on 7/22/15 10:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Don't rush your plan - no experimenting. The stages get a little more difficult as you move on. Take it slow. Does your insurance cover a nutritionist? Some do. Is there anyone to communicate with from the Mexico center? Stick around here and keep on reading... Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

micrene
on 7/23/15 6:38 am - Melbourne, FL

I guess the word "experimenting" was the wrong word to use here.  Good gracious!  LOL

But thank you for the suggestion to speak with my insurance as they will cover a dietician to help with the transition locally.

I communicate with the center in Mexico all the time, but I like to have a local resource as well that I can see and speak to in person who has access to local recipes and can show me ways to take favorite recipes and make them VSG friendly.  That is what I meant by wanting a local nutritionist.

Thank you!

beelitehobbies
on 7/23/15 10:42 am - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Good luck Micrene

Too bad you got hammered in the forum. Great information is available here, trust me. Like all forums on the internet, people can get treated roughly if there plan or thoughts are different. Lots of different ways to reach goals as well as how live your life. It is why the world is very diverse culturally.

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

NikkiL2015
on 7/23/15 5:25 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

So sorry you are getting frustration on here, you should totally check out www.bariatricfoodie.com.  I have had many of the same questions you have posted.  I completely understand that some foods cause discomfort when others don't.  My mother had the surgery a year ago so I have the help from her, and our nutritionist is fairly local for us.  I feel for you and your struggle right now.  The website I gave you suggests "playing" or "experimenting" with your food, so don't feel bad for doing that by any means!  It's your body, you got to listen to it and do what works for you! That is exactly what my doctor just told me at my 2 week post-op last Monday.  My surgery was 07/06/15.  The doctor also told me that if something doesn't work, just go back and start back where I was.  Two steps forward and one step back, that's how we get through this! Another good tip she gave me was to only introduce one new thing at a time, so that I know exactly what it is that I am not agreeing with or that I am agreeing with.  Good luck to you on your journey! Feel free to message me anytime, I look forward to hearing more about your success!!!

micrene
on 7/24/15 8:00 am - Melbourne, FL

Awesome!! thank you!  And yes we should stay in touch since our surgeries were on the same day.  Last night I found You tube videos made by Dr. Matthew Weiner who made it all so much easier to understand and gave excellent advice that he does for his patients.  The things I have tried are not so far off and funny, I completely forgot what my doctor said when I went to see her at 1 week post op.  She said the guidelines are simply that.  Everyone is different and some people know their bodies better than others.  If I feel I need to try something, it's ok to try it but listen to your body.  Don't do anything drastic, and if you cannot tolerate it, go back to full liquids for a day or two and start again.  She said the stomach can be pretty tough.  She was more concerned with lifting objects, exercise, and riding my motorcycle before the full 6 week recovery period than she was for introducing foods.  She said no red meat under any cir****tances, no processed foods....keep it to soft veggies, fruits, soft dairy, soups, and things like mashed beans....3 - 4 bites will constitute a meal and not to push that limit. 

I have definitely learned what works and what doesn't so I am not experiencing the discomfort.... I just had to wrap my head around the tiny portions and to eat very slowly and to really pay attention to what I eat or try...... things you take for granted.

I will definitely check out the website you gave.  I have a pintrest page filled with recipes so I can start cooking for my husband in ways that will benefit both of us.  

Thanks again and let's stay in touch.

Most Active