liver shrinking diet questions

E_Saenz
on 7/23/15 10:03 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

If you had your pre op diet my doctor office has pre packaged food and shakes for before and after they requir me to buy 250.00 of pre op and post op stuff I am kinda not into pre packaged stuff any pre op diet ideas welcomed starting it next Wednesday.

Elia Maria Saenz

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 10:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Soe doctors sell stuff, a few require you to buy them. ****** me off.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

E_Saenz
on 7/23/15 10:27 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

They have a store and require you to purchase pre op and post op foods $250.00

Elia Maria Saenz

E_Saenz
on 7/23/15 10:29 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I was hoping I could do the same thing with natural foods instead

Elia Maria Saenz

chaplainJess
on 7/23/15 10:48 am

I am pre-op and my Dr. also uses a specific brand of shake. I am getting around this because I have a very touchy system after my galbladder was removed. I can't do dairy at all. The nutritionist said they would work with me. I found a vegan shake that works well. You need to come up with a reason why their shakes will not work. The "but they send me sprinting to the bathroom" works.

E_Saenz
on 7/23/15 10:51 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm lactose intolerant too shakes give me terrible gas

Elia Maria Saenz

chaplainJess
on 7/23/15 11:07 am

I've had good luck with the vega one products made with unsweetened almond milk. They are vegan, gluten-free and non-gmo.  I loved the taste of the Plant-head vegan shakes, but then I read the ingrediant label more carefully and found that they use cane sugar. No wonder it tasted good! The vega one products are working for me. (I am just starting the pre-op process and have one for breakfast) If you have digestion issues with shakes, they recomend starting with a 1/4 scoop of the powder and then slowing increase it to a full scoop. It helps get your body used to the protein powders.

Ready2goNOW
on 7/23/15 12:25 pm

I am pre-op, too, and my doctor 'requires' we purchase our pre-op protein shakes from his office to the tune of $300!!! For TWO WEEKS worth of 'food'...INSANE!

I researched the nutrients in the doctor's shake vs. the whey protein shake I am already using, and MY shake is actually better. I also got feedback from vets on these boards. I have already lost over 50 lbs. & plan on using MY shake. I would bet my liver has definitely shrunk!

I really see this 'requirement as being a pharmaceutical 'doctor/buddy' thing, & will not spend money on this particular product when I am intelligent enough to do my own research & have been motivated enough to eat a pre-op meal plan similar to the recommended post op meal plan for the past few months !

I know we should go to our doctors for advice & guidance rather than this site, but in this case after doing my own 'due diligence' and the feedback I received I am going my own way on this particular 'requirement.'

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

Kathy

chaplainJess
on 7/23/15 1:10 pm

I am not a lawyer and don't play one on tv..... but can they legally "require" us to use a specific brand? If they refuse to do a surgery because they will not buy "their" protein powder, is that even legal? as a paitent I have the right to go to any pharmacy. A doctor can't demand I get my meds at CVS instead of walgreens. I have the right to choose. The program can require me to turn in a fitness/excersize log, but they can't require everyone to workout at planet fitness instead of the YMCA.    This is quickly turning into a rant so I'll stop. But seriously, Is this legal?

Gwen M.
on 7/23/15 2:40 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Of course it's legal.  They can refuse to operate on you for any reason they want.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active