Free bicycle tips? Or how craiglislist people are mean.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/15 8:27 pm
VSG on 07/13/15

I'm currently around 290lbs and I've been looking for a bicycle to get my range of motion better. The last time I rode a bike it was around age 9 with training wheels and would like to get out of the house and meet new people while getting fitter. I'm currently broke and get the worst of private messages on craigstlst to "Go get a job fatty" or "Go kill yourself". Kinda disheartening.

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 7/27/15 8:39 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

Some people just suck and they get off on hiding behind a keyboard and spreading their hate. Try to ignore them.  They don't matter. Good for you for looking for a way to make the bike thing work out! Keep at it!

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/15 8:48 pm
VSG on 07/13/15

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Life Rediscovered
on 7/28/15 3:33 am - MA

First of all, I am so sorry that you experienced this.

Unfortunately, people still think it is appropriate to fat shame people. 

But I have a question:  How do these strangers on Craigslist, know you are overweight?

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 5:52 am
VSG on 07/13/15

I told them I had VSG in my post. You'd think people would have sympathy for those who are trying to better themselves, but it seems like a dog eat dog world out there while i have no friends.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/28/15 4:56 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It sucks when people are so mean, just try to ignore them.They're ********

Is there any way you can borrow or rent a bike? I know in my city they have some citi bike thing where you rent a bike, ride around town, then park it back at an assigned spot. Do you know anyone else that has an extra bike that you can borrow? Maybe from a cyclist? They might have more than 1 bike lying around that they don't use on a regular basis.

I wouldn't call myself a cyclist, but I noticed as I got more fit, I'd get a bike that was more in league with my current fitness level & keep the older bike on the side. For example a mountain bike is more for off road, but an urban bike is more for concrete. You might be able to find someone in your area that has an extra bike you can borrow if they don't want to sell it.

Also check out your local colleges, especially if you're an alumni,or you've gone there for a semester, they might let you use some of their equipment for free or a low price as part of an outreach program type of thing to the local community.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 5:51 am
VSG on 07/13/15

The closest college town is a bit away (Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti) but I'll keep them in mind. I'll keep these ideas in my notepad once I can get over there. Thanks for your post! 

Pamela M.
on 7/28/15 7:14 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I'm sorry you encountered "haters" on Craigslist.  Unfortunately, they will always be with us - everywhere we go.  THE GOOD NEWS - for every hater there's 10 good people who have light and love in their hearts and these are the people we must surround ourselves with.  I will say a prayer for you that you will find a bike (affordable).  You are an inspiration and I appreciate your honesty.  Keep your chin up and know that you have people cheering you on!  We are all in this together and we are here for you. 

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 7:38 am
VSG on 07/13/15

Thank you for your prayer! 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/28/15 7:39 am - MI

Don't take it personal. There are a ton of internet trolls and people who hide behind a keyboard! Instead of craigslist try your local salvation army or thrift store!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active