New to this process

ELISMOMMY0923
on 7/28/15 9:30 pm

Hi I've just been referred by my primary physician for bariatric surgery and have been doing research on what to expect at my first visit and so far Ive just confused myself. I know that the vsg is the better choice for me and was hoping someone could tell me more about the process of getting approved. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mickeymantle
on 7/29/15 9:09 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

a lot depends on if you have insurance and what plan

common requirements are a high bmi, and other heath issues

2 year record of supervised diets with no lose or regain ( weigh****chers  is excepted for most plans ), 6 month supervised medical diet by the surgeons office or pcp

most surgeons require  10 % weight lose pre op 

you will need blood work , endoscope , usually an ok by cardiologist( stress test is common , obese people have funny heart waves on the ekg)

phyic exam ( 2 million questions repeated endlessly on a computer )_

sleep study most of us have sleep abnea and need a cpac machine when sleeping( if you snore you got it)

plan 2 self pay in Mexico

are you alive

can you pay

can you get to Mexico

pass blood test

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ELISMOMMY0923
on 7/29/15 9:59 am

Thank you for your reply. Did you have to find all the doctors yourself or did your surgeon provide a list?

happyteacher
on 7/29/15 2:25 am, edited 7/29/15 2:26 am

Varies by insurance. I was fortunate, as I was not required to demonstrate 6 months of dieting before. I was required to see a shrink, have a stress test, see a Nut, have bloodwork drawn, see an exercise guru, meet with the doc at the bariatric clinic, meet with the surgeon. Usually patients are required to do a sleep study, but since both me and the hubby worked in a sleep clinic and were very familiar with apnea that was waived given I had nothing symptomatic or observable during sleep. It took me 3 months to get through the appointments and make it to surgury. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ELISMOMMY0923
on 7/29/15 10:01 am

Thanks for replying.How hard was it to get all of your appointments set up?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/29/15 10:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Check with your insurance company to see what they require; your benefit book will probably have a list of pre-requisites. Your doctor may have a list as well (mine did, and he highlighted what Blue Cross needed).

A rough timeline that may vary from patient to patient:

• Attend an info seminar with a surgeon's office (they offer these once or twice a month)
  • Individual meeting with a surgeon to discuss your options
  • Assemble documentation-- previous diagnoses, test results, charts, etc.
  • Required testing, which may include blood work, sleep study, cardiac stress test
  • Some plans require a medically-supervised diet for 3 or 6 months, which will usually involve checking in with a doctor on food and exercise each month
  • Paperwork submitted to your insurance company by the surgeon's office staff
  • Insurance company makes a decision
  • Surgeon/hospital schedule surgery date
  • Final clearance for anesthesia
  • Surgery

I highly suggest the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies," it gives a really good overview of the whole process. You can pick up a used copy online for about five bucks.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ELISMOMMY0923
on 7/29/15 10:59 am

Thank tou so much i just ordered a copy from amazon 

chubbs54
on 7/29/15 11:54 am

I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I asked my Dr for a referel to Bariatric Surgery and within 2 wks I was called for an apt to go the class and all my requirements of blood work,stress test, then 1 wk later I had my orientation with the surgeon and he gave me my surgery datefor the same month of June and I still had not completed my requirements but I had also lost 20 lbs prior to some medical issues my husband last Oct. Unfortunately I got a cold and had to postpone my surgery for another month. I have been sleeve this past Monday and am very glad it is done.

chubbs54
on 7/29/15 11:54 am

I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I asked my Dr for a referel to Bariatric Surgery and within 2 wks I was called for an apt to go the class and all my requirements of blood work,stress test, then 1 wk later I had my orientation with the surgeon and he gave me my surgery datefor the same month of June and I still had not completed my requirements but I had also lost 20 lbs prior to some medical issues my husband last Oct. Unfortunately I got a cold and had to postpone my surgery for another month. I have been sleeve this past Monday and am very glad it is done.

E_Saenz
on 7/29/15 11:46 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I called the surgeon's office that I had chosen and made an appointment I got in quick and frem then on they guided the process but before I set the appointment I asked if they participate with my insurance and they did everything I only called my ins co 1x and asked the status and they told me that they already approved it.

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views