insurance required diet

judeloren
on 7/29/15 10:42 am

Hello my insurance requires a 3 month medically supervised diet. I did what they asked back in 2007 to get my lap band but its been a while. I assume its different for each insurance and each Dr. but i was wondering what kind of information you recorded for the diet? my insurance coordinator is out of the office for the next week so i have to wait to ask her.

thanks!

E_Saenz
on 7/29/15 11:30 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I wish i could tell you something I didn't have a pre op diet my bmi is over 50 so they didn't require it 3months isnt bad though you will do it and it'll be over before you know!  I wish you the best of luck!

Elia Maria Saenz

judeloren
on 7/29/15 11:54 am

thanks! i' m not worried about dieting... i have been trying that for most of my life! lol another 3 months is nothing. I just want to make sure i keep a record of everything i might need to turn in. Do you like the sleeve? i think i will im excited to get it!

E_Saenz
on 7/29/15 12:11 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I can't tell you yet but I'm having my surgery August 12th I've waited a long time for this I'm also having a hiatal hernia repair as well so I know I'm gonna be a little more sore than normal but it is going to be worth it.

Elia Maria Saenz

judeloren
on 7/29/15 12:14 pm

yay i'm excited for you! let me know how it goes! i have to have my lap band removed then wait at least 6 months to have the sleeve so long time for me

E_Saenz
on 7/29/15 1:02 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I sent you a friend request we will see this through.

Elia Maria Saenz

judeloren
on 7/29/15 1:23 pm

awesome! i approved it. thank you!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/29/15 11:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Every insurance company is different.  I would start by calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask for clarification.

In my case, I had to visit my doctor (I saw my PCP) monthly.  I was weighed, we discussed diet and exercise.  He submitted a recap of what my weight had been on those visits.

I have heard that some insurance companies require that you need to see your doctor to get your information recorded NO MORE THAN EVERY 30 DAYS, so keep that in mind.  Insurance companies love to deny coverage for bariatric surgery, so make sure that you understand what yours requires.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

judeloren
on 7/29/15 12:02 pm

they are very unhelpful lol. medically supervised is all i can get from them. They let me have it in 2007 for my lap band but i remember the Dr. office having me do it again and giving more info i just cant remember what. When the coordinator comes back i can get it just curious! thanks for your reply!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/29/15 12:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is exactly what I did. My GP submitted the chart notes from those visits to the insurance company and they were fine with it. All insurance plans are different, though, so make sure to check in advance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active