Protein and liquid requirements

Aperk
on 7/28/15 7:21 pm

How long did it take you to get in all your fluids and protein? I'm 4 days out and today I had 4 cups of hot tea, one and a half protein shakes and a little bit of creamy soup. So like 40 oz of liquid and maybe 35g of protein. Is that decent progress? I'm having a hard time with plain water, hot herbal tea is amazing :)

Oneillch
on 7/28/15 12:51 pm, edited 7/28/15 12:54 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Hope you're feeling well and even though it may be hard right now, try to get in as much liquid as you can to keep from getting dehydrated. I think it took me about a month before I could get in all my liquids. As for protein, I would either have 2 shakes a day (30 grams ea) or have at least one shake & then add a scoop of an unflavored protein powder to my liquids. Like you, hot herbal teas or even warm broths went down easier. People here will tell you to sip, sip, sip.....And don't guess at what you're having, start keeping track. It's a good habit to get into going forward. Good luck, you're on the right track!

Aperk
on 7/28/15 7:56 pm

I tried having a second shake I got about half down and I started feeling odd. Not nauseated exactly but not good so I tried some soup a few hours later and the same thing happened. So I've been just trying to get in most of my liquids in. Try again tomorrow! 

mickeymantle
on 7/28/15 10:50 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is more important to get the liquids , if the shakes are a problem drink water or tea , or soup, and ice pops

add the protien when you can , in a week or so it should get easier when the swelling lessens

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Ok2BaLoser
on 7/29/15 8:50 am
VSG on 06/19/15

I am 5 weeks post op and still struggle with getting in all protein and fluids.  It does get much easier to get the liquids down.  I am okay with the 1st shake, but the second always gets to me!!!  Good luck and sip sip sip!!!

Most Active