A Month Out - Feeling Great But Weird (Rant)

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 8:39 am

Hello all! I wanted to post here because I follow a lot of WLS communities on Facebook, Instagram, etc. and the more I read about other people's experiences, the more I think my experience is super weird and non-typical. I know each person's journey is individual but I was curious to see if anyone here can relate.

I was sleeved on 6/24/15. Weighing in at 326 the day of surgery. In my first month, I lost 20 lbs., and 20 inches. Since day 1 post-op, I have been eating mushy foods. I was given tuna salad at the hospital and it went down great. I am now on full solid foods and haven't have an issue with ANYTHING. Like, I have tolerated every single food I tried (and believe me, there's a lot of variety there). Right now, I am typically getting 70-80g of protein a day just from meals and 1 protein iced coffee a day. I eat about 900 calories a day, which typically includes 3 meals and 1 snack. I am very strict with my carbs (no more than 40g a day), and less so with my fat. I still feel like I have a LOT of hunger. I hear my stomach growling if I haven't eaten in a while and I know I get a lot of water in, and I take Pepcid every day. I haven't started to officially exercise yet but I typically walk a decent amount daily (5,000 steps just commuting, etc). My doctor told me their goal for me was to be losing 10 lbs a month...but that seems too...little?

Whats the problem? I feel like I am in the minority. I consistently read posts from people who are even further along in their journey than I am, who eat like 500 calories a day, have trouble getting in their protein, have NO desire to eat whatsoever, etc. It makes me concerned. I feel like I am 6 months ahead of where I should be in this process - and while its great that I'm doing well, I worry that because of this, I am also going to "bottom out" sooner than I should.

I checked my Basal Metabolic Rate, and I know that as long as I eat less calories than I burn, I should lose. It's simple math and science, right? Then why do I feel like I'm doing something wrong by eating the way I am? Do you think my hunger pangs could be due to acid even though I regularly take Pepcid (and sometimes even a Zantac to boot)? Am I eating too many calories for being so early out? I am technically creating a deficit of a little over 1200 calories a day, so a loss of 2.5 lbs. a week, but still. Is this something that will maintain? I don't want to dip too unhealthily low into calories... Anyone have a similar experience post-op??

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

tracywag
on 7/30/15 8:56 am

It sounds to me as if you have a sensible system that is working for you.  There is such variety of advice that surgeons offices are handing out.  My office is lapband geared and give me conflicting information, plus promote a grain centered, fat restricted diet.  I am doing my own research and following something quite similar to you with good results, no hair loss and slower but still successful weightloss without suffering from the insulin spikes that make me hungry enough to eat a cat.  

I haven't had any real intolerances  either.  I took the acid meds for two months, and have not needed them.  I am 7 months out.

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 2:14 am, edited 7/31/15 2:04 am

Thank you for your response! My nutritionist also advocated a low-fat, sugar-free type diet for me, but I have never liked artificial sweeteners (which is fine cause I have no sweet tooth whatsoever), and doing my own research decided a high protein, low carb, and moderate fat diet, filled with whole foods, would be much more positive and satisfying. I also tend to cycle my calories (so I'll have a 900 calorie day, followed by a 600 one), and haven't stalled at all. So I guess that's good?

I know I'm probably being silly when I should just shut up and be grateful, but I start to really doubt myself when I look at what other people's experiences have been like.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

JoeyJo
on 7/30/15 9:39 am - NJ

They gave you tuna salad at the hospital?!!  How long after surgery?  I could barely eat the unspiked mini jello shots every couple of hours.

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 2:54 am, edited 7/30/15 3:02 am

Yep! My surgeon has us on soft-pureed foods since day 1 post-op. At the hospital they gave me water. That was fine. Then broth. That was fine. Then tuna salad. Which was also fine. I was on pureed foods for about 3 weeks after that, before moving onto solids. So I ate a lot of ground meats and flaky fish. 

Edit: I should also mention that after 2 weeks of nothing but liquids, and then that awful leak test liquid, it was the best tasting tuna salad I ever had in my life. 

SleevinisBelievin
on 7/30/15 11:56 am

I was under the impression if my stomach could tolerate the food, then it must be ok to eat.  I was wrong about that one!!  I will be sleeved the 12th of Aug but at my last required class we learned about what foods we can and can't eat.  We are not even given beef or por****il after our 4th week post -op.  Not because our new stomachs may not "like" the food, it's because our stomachs have to work hard in order to process and digest those meats.  I'd be careful of what you are putting into your new belly for fear of causing issues with leaks, etc.  I'll be on full liquid diet for the week after surgery, then soft/pureed foods, then gradually adding more foods as I progress.  Every dr is different but please be careful adding whole foods too soon.

Best of luck with you success!!

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 12:54 pm

Thank you! I am following my doctor's orders on what I can eat, and beef and pork are totally a-ok 4 weeks out with him, my nutritionist, etc. Leaks are extremely rare, and even more so when you're more than a week out. So far, I have had no issues at all with pain, frothing, nausea, anything! Looks like my tummy is tolerating everything really nicely.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/30/15 5:58 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I read your blog and noticed that you drank two glasses of wine three weeks post surgery.  Do you think that was a good idea?  I don't think your doctor would be pleased about that choice.

I don't mention this to chastise you, but I see some big red flags based on what you've posted, not just on your blog, but here.  WLS is a very serious procedure with life long implications.  To vary so greatly from the restrictions you've been given so early in the process does not bode well.  I hope you understand that I'm saying this out of concern.  I don't want to see anyone fail.  

I did not feel any restriction until at least five weeks post surgery.  YMMV.  Eating 4 ounces at this stage seems like a great deal of food to me.  Maybe your sleeve is larger, but usually the swelling limits how much you can eat at this point.  Although you MAY be able to eat that much, SHOULD you?

Weight loss gets much more difficult down the road.  I advise you to maximize your potential weight loss, especially during the first six months.  The weight loss will eventually slow down, even on limited caloric intake per day.  I guess I just want to say, don't push the edge of the envelope so soon.  You'll regret it  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/15 7:35 pm

Yep! I did drink two glasses of wine at my cousin's wedding and was totally upfront about it with my doctor. That day, I ate roughly 600 calories (wine included) and had a loss of 5 lbs that week. My nutritionist also said I can start having wine again a month post, as long as it's no more than 1-2 glasses a week. I can start having hard liquor, etc., at 3 months out.

I'm not sure where you're seeing all these red flags. Trust me, I fully understand the rules and regulations regarding my surgery. I take it extremely seriously. I follow them to a T, minus the two glasses of wine a week earlier than I should have. How exactly am I varying what I am doing from my restrictions except for that and choosing not to eat processed, sugar-free junk that I have no taste for? I am eating portion sizes and foods exactly in line with my plan. I also most definitely feel a restriction, and have felt one at about 2 weeks out on. I don't eat to the point of discomfort of stuffing stuff down there. I measure, chew well, and I eat until satisfied. 

As a lifetime yo-yo dieter, I understand that it gets harder down the line, but I also know that I did this as a life choice. I also don't feel I'm pushing the "edge of the envelope" at all. Just feel in the minority based on how well my body tolerated the surgery, new foods, etc. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/30/15 8:25 pm

I agree with Mo. She has been incredibly successful, so she knows whereof she speaks.

Capacity increases over time. If you are easily eating four ounces now, you may find yourself eating too much at a year out. Part of long term success is building good habits now. As you loss slows, your motivation and enthusiasm may wane. That's where good habits can carry you through.

Alcohol so early out brings another set of problems. It is hardon your liver, which is already working overtime. Then you also run the real risk of alcoholism. Alcihol will have a stronger effect on you now. Then too, those are empty **** calories. No nutrition and all sugar. They might fit into your calorie budget, but you aren't getting anything from them.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active