Clears Pre and Post-Op

mmb2003
on 7/31/15 10:30 am

Hey everyone!

My surgery is August 11th so I have been in the process of trying out clear protein sources. So far most of the Isopure drinks are out, I can only barely tolerate Apple Melon. Tried one of the New Whey shots today diluted in water and it's also a no go. I have one more flavor to try but my hopes aren't high, lol!  I've ordered some chicken flavored protein from Unjury so we'll see how that goes when it arrives. Here's my question. Has anyone tried adding unflavored protein to water and then a few squirts of Mio?  I was thinking of trying that next. Thanks!!

--Meg

VSG 8/11/15 HW: 272.5 PreOp: -17.5 M1: -20.8 M2: -15.0 TWL: -55.1 CW: 217.4

1st Goal: 225 9/27/15 2nd Goal: 200 3rd Goal: 170

mickeymantle
on 7/31/15 11:04 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I like to add unflavored protien powder to better than bullion , sold at Costco and Walmart

most of the shots are the wrong type of protien

do not order to much your tastes may change after surgery

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/15 11:48 am

As an FYI, New Whey is mostly collagen protein and isn't readily absorbed by the body. IMO, it's basically crap and throwing away your money.

I HATED unflavored protein more than I hated vanilla or cookies and cream or strawberry flavors. Anything I added the unflavored protein powder to ended up down the disposal. YUCK, BLECH, EWWWW..... Okay, this is only my opinion, but, I'm giving you fair warning!

The only flavor I can really manage is chocolate of any protein powder. I found GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 and have used it for over 3 years. The nice thing is that you can buy a small size at GNC and if you can't stand the taste, they will allow you to return/exchange it.

califsleevin
on 7/31/15 4:44 pm - CA

Clear protein sources are a tough one for many of us; I have tolerated it for the day before surgery and for the once-every five years or so colonoscopy. Isopure is about the best that there is, but broths fortified with the chicken soup flavored or unflavored protein powders are useful, too. Is Jello acceptable on your doc's program? That can be fortified with unflavored protein powder, or it might be a way of making the Isopure more tolerable if you use that instead of some of the cold water. If you are into iced tea, maybe some lemon (or lime?) Isopure mixed into the tea - it might be a tolerable blend (or it might be a tosser....)

I have found that many objectionable flavors or textures can be blended with other products to make them tolerable - I got stuck with a bag of yucky protein powder from Costco (in their usual quantity....) that I would have tossed, but made it usable by blending it with other protein powders of the same notional flavor; the objectionable flavor of that product dropped into the background. Changing temperature or state can sometimes change the flavor enough to make it tolerable (Isopure popsicles, anyone?)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/15 4:13 pm

I went through mybariatricpantry.com and ordered the sample packs of different flavors so I could test out what I like and not have a huge canister go to waste. Their unflavored isn't bad and I added it to yogurt and couldn't even tell.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views