New to Site...Lifetime Fatty!

suzyq584
on 8/4/15 7:17 pm

Hi,

As the title says, I am new to this site but certainly not new to life as a fat person.  I have decided that now is the time to get drastic and have surgery.  I have been to several seminars and have read 5 books and countless websites full of information and I STILL have questions!  How is that possible??

I have determined that although I have insurance, I will be a self-payer due to a specific bariatric restriction on my policy.  YIKES!!  .

How did you pick your surgeon?  I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area and am not finding much information on the surgeons I'm considering.  Because I am paying out of pocket, price has to be part of the decision.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.  I hope to have surgery in October.

~Suzy

frisco
on 8/4/15 7:50 pm

So great your doing the research, stay on it till you have the answers to become a Former Fatty!!!

I researched the whole country for a top VSG surgeon with the best results working with the SMO as I was self pay also. Mexico just wasn't in the cards for me, nothing against it for others, it just didn't appeal to me.

I went in with a money no object attitude...... I just wanted a top drawer effort. Turns out I got top drawer  and the price was in the middle..... no brainer.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

suzyq584
on 8/4/15 8:01 pm

Thanks Frisco!  I can't wait to become an FF!!

I have considered Mexico and was actually pretty set on it until I started speaking to my family about it.  They are adamantly opposed to it so I guess I'm staying here.  Luckily, being in such a large metro area, I have plenty of choices.  Just want to make sure I make the best of the $17,000 + it is going to cost!!

How did you determine "top drawer?"

suzyq584
on 8/5/15 10:10 am

Thanks everyone!  Mary, WLIAZ is on my list!  :)

kranky813
on 8/5/15 1:44 pm
VSG on 08/20/15

I am a self payer and mexico wasn't an option for me either. I honestly researched several doctors, looked up their bios and chose one that I thought would be a good match. (I'm in MN BTW) After everything is said and done I will be just a bit over $17,000. That includes every doctor appointment after my surgery and every nurse appointment as well. They have a program for self payers because it is becoming more common. 

My Surgeon is one of the top in his field and he has the best bedside manner. I honestly adore him. He did however make me go through the entire process for pre-surgery. I had 6 months of nutrition appointments, met a psychologist, sleep apnea test, upper GI, etc... everything you can think of. He wanted to be 100% prepared. (All of that was also covered in my $17,000 as well) the whole process took 11 months to the date of surgery. 

My recommendation would be don't go to a surgeon who is going to do shortcuts just because you are paying cash. Make sure they are dedicated to you and truly understand what it is you are after. 

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

Starlene02
on 8/4/15 8:22 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

I'm in the process of fighting my insurance for approval myself. First they told me that the 6 month doctor monitored weight loss wouldn't be necessary, but when everything was turned over for review they informed me that I was told wrong (Many Times)! Since that day I've been hitting the pavement hard! I'll have my 4 month weight monitoring appointment tomorrow. I completed a sleep study and found that I do actually have sleep apnea and I've seen several more doctors to complete letters of support and help me along my journey. According to my surgeons office I'll be able to start preparing for surgery next month. As soon as I have the paper work for the 6th month everything will be turned back over to insurance. As long as they approve, that puts me only 2 months away! I'm pretty confident that they won't turn me down again. If they do I'll be filing an appeal! The point in my telling you all of this is that I was extremely upset learning that my surgery would be held off for another 6 months while I tried to get my insurance's approval, but within that time I've realized that everything happens for a reason. I've now found other medical issues that I need to tend to as well and on top of that I'm saving myself some money. It's well worth it to be absolutely sure you can't get your insurance to cover you! Best of Luck to you.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Mary B.
on 8/4/15 9:42 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I live in the Phoenix area and had my surgery with the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona, WLIA.  You may have seen their commercials on TV.  I have received great treatment and problem-free surgery from Dr. De Barros and the other staff.  I have no idea how much their self-pay price is, but I would recommend you check with them.  Their phone number is 480-829-6100.  Good luck with your search! 

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

Sandra F.
on 8/5/15 5:52 am

I had my surgery in Mexico and I realize it is not for everyone.  I wish you good luck on your journey!

happyteacher
on 8/5/15 11:42 am

No idea, just want to wish you luck in your search. Try using the search button. I vaguely recall an old post on self pay where someone found a solid deal (under 10K) from a decent doc and that included the hospital and such.. and in the US. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views