Hi! VSG in a few weeks and need to vent...

Lizzybee85
on 8/2/15 10:31 am

Hello everyone! I'll be having my sleeve and a hiatal hernia repair done in the next four to six weeks. I started this process as a self pay patient in late march and still don't have a for sure surgery date. The surgeon's office told me my surgery will either be on August 31, or September 14. What's making me nervous is that I work full time and I'm also a student -- classes will be starting up again August 25 (AFTER SURGERY DATE!!!). As far as time off goes I'm fine at work but I can't take time off of school. Since finding out my surgery will be scheduled after classes started I decided to change my classes from in campus to online. As I've read in many WLS posts, many people complain of having no energy post surgery... I really hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. However, the reality is I've spent too much time and money. I really don't want to put this off until the end of the semester and risk having to redo all my pre-ops. I'm still sort of young (30) and I have a bit of hope that I'll recover quickly... really trying to keep a glass half full mentality on this. 

poplargreys
on 8/2/15 10:40 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I would have been comletely fine doing schoolwork from my hospital bed. Seriously. I know that many people have a tough time getting back to normal after surgery, but I was up and functioning (sore and bloated, of course) the morning after I was discharged from the hospital. Have you discussed your timing concerns with your surgeon's office? Mine was willing to work with me on scheduling a date that worked for my surgeon and my schedule.

Lizzybee85
on 8/2/15 10:54 am

I told them from the very beginning but it really wasn't their fault. Because if my high BMI, the doctor wanted a full work up before surgery so it took longer for me to have everything ready. The issue is that the hospital is booked all through this month and if I go to the other hospital he works in it will be another 4 to 5k... which I don't have. Thanks for your reassuring message! :)

happyteacher
on 8/2/15 11:47 am

School work for the first 3 days or so, maybe not so much. But for sure after that assuming you are doing it from home. No worries at all. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

FuturePinUp
on 8/3/15 10:50 am

Ditto to this! After 3 days I felt OK. I went back to work after 6 days and felt totally ready to do so (office job). You can do it!!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

roxytrim
on 8/2/15 1:32 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Go for it girl...you have youth on your side - you can make it happen.

Ihearttennis
on 8/2/15 1:54 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I didn't have any complications and was fine by day three.  I was back to work as a pre k teacher in a week.  I was tired and didn't do any strenuous activity or lifting, but I wasn't in any pain.  You've got this!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Donna L.
on 8/2/15 6:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm 38 and had my surgery on June 22nd near the end of my two graduate summer classes.  I wound up having to take one incomplete (it was for a class I had to do a lot of German translation in) but did well in the other. I will be finishing the other class for a grade next week.  Going to class the week after was physically exhausting - I went back to class the following Tuesday.  I had assumed I could do school work in bed the first week, but it was remarkably more difficult than I had imagined, and I have a very high tolerance for discomfort.  There was a certain amount of mental exhaustion, too.  Eating is a full time job the week after surgery... at least it was for me, especially to get fluids in after there was no IV.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Lizzybee85
on 8/2/15 6:56 pm

Luckily I won't be doing any German translations lol. Summer terms are killer. I actually thought my surgery was going to happen during the summer term and for that reason I took it off. So much for that! Hopefully by taking online classes it won't be too bad. ::crosses fingers:: 

SassyAmy
on 8/3/15 6:07 am
VSG on 08/05/15

Have you ever taken online classes before? While they can be a bit intense because of the amount of material they cram into a short time span, they're actually really good because you can finish stuff almost at your own pace--you don't have to commit to being in a classroom for two hours on a set day of the week.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views