How do you feel not eating much?

SpunkyK3
on 8/3/15 12:38 pm

I am getting ready to go to my first visit with my surgeon for the bariatric stomach sleeve.  I'm wondering, though ... once you have surgery I understand that you have to go through several stages of eating (clear liquids, creamier liquids, and so on) but my question is - Since your body isn't used to the limited amount of food and just having liquids for such a long period of time, do any of you ever get really tired or actually get shaky from lack of food?  I'm just thinking about times that I've not had the chance to eat and I very hungry ... I get a little shaky and weak.  Does that happen in this situation or does that go away because your stomach is so much smaller?

Thank you!

poplargreys
on 8/3/15 1:42 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

As long as I eat on a set schedule, I don't get lightheaded, shaky or 'hangry' like I did before surgery. 

wyo_sarah
on 8/3/15 1:42 pm

I was pretty weak for the first 6 weeks.  I was nauseated too and just felt pretty horrible.  At 6 weeks it magically went away and I have felt fine since.  If I don't get enough protein I can feel it though.  It is a difficult to explain feeling, but I just feel kind of weak or off and I've learned to recognize that as needing food.  I don't really get hungry and I typically eat on a schedule. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/15 1:48 pm

I was a little tired the first two weeks post op, but that's about it. I never felt light headed or shaky. I never felt like I was lacking energy. It was more the opposite. I found I had a lot more energy than I did pre surgery! Seriously, I think the plan I was on really cleaned my body out and I felt better than I had in years!

Also, most of us don't get hungry at all for the first few months post op. Even at 3 years out I have to not eat for hours and hours before I get really hungry and truly have to eat.

gwen41539
on 8/3/15 1:53 pm - kimper, KY

Tomorrow will ne 3 weeks post op for me i do fine no shakey hungry stuff you will hqve food/nutrition if you follow your plan....BUT it will take a long time for body to adjust to smaller portions...i eat so slow and savor every bite...my head wants more than 3oz even though i know and feel i can't hold more....so far im doing ok...im going to have buy some protein shakes im not sick of lol im really sick of them all and broth etc too but unjury chocolate with a teaspoon of peanut butter and some ice cubes whizzed up used to be a real treat so im going to get some ..eating lots of fish tilapia is great...tuna is ok refried beans and salsa with cheese is awesome im adding more foods each week so we will see...so far eating hasnt been an issue its my under lying health issues that are.killing me :( 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

kwolf916
on 8/3/15 2:27 pm

Not at all related to the original post - but I'm also a person who puts peanut butter in my chocolate shakes and I wanted to make sure you knew about PB2 and the other peanut butter alternatives.  A tablespoon of PB2 is only a 1/2 serving and has 22 calories. 0.8 grams of fat, 2.5 grams of carbs and 2.5 grams of protein - so much better than standard peanut butter. AND - you can reconstitute it with equal amounts of water if you just want the creamy peanut butter to put on something else!  (Can you tell I'm a fan???) :)

SpunkyK3
on 8/3/15 9:10 pm

Thank you! I love to get ideas from people on what they enjoyed eating. I'm starting a list of ideas so I can have them for later when I will need them!

Donna L.
on 8/3/15 5:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was lucky and adjusted (mostly) well.  I am still having trouble with dense animal protein a few weeks out so I went back to liquids for another week.  I tried some chicken today as was suggested and it's still kinda bleh, so I will probably do liquid more just to be safe.  Surprisingly, it's actually much easier body-wise since surgery.  Psychological hunger is another matter.  I feel like I should be eating when I really don't need to, and that gets tricky sometimes.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

KathyA999
on 8/3/15 5:22 pm

A lot of us get fatigued easily, early out, but it would be hard to tell if it's due to anesthesia hangover (which can last for a few weeks) or lower nourishment.  Could also be due to too little hydration - a lot of people struggle to get in their water in the early days.  It does go away, though, and the previous comment about eating on a regular schedule is bang on.  Also the type of food we eat post-op - protein first, then a little veg if room - creates a more even blood sugar situation, which also helps if you tend to get the shakes when empty.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Bufflehead
on 8/3/15 5:57 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

No, I felt tired for the first few weeks due to getting over surgery, but since then have felt great and very energetic. Your body will draw the energy it needs from your fat stores -- and no offense, but I'm sure you have plenty or you wouldn't need this surgery! And I say that as someone who started out over 350 lbs, so believe me I am not saying anything about you that couldn't be said twice over about me

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views