Will working out have a negative effect?

Oliviawashere
on 8/4/15 1:00 pm

Maybe a stupid question. ha. & by no means will I not, not work out. I definetley will, but was wondering if working out will stall or impact my weight loss in a negative way. I was working out in the beginning and after I stopped, I seemed to lose much more. I am only 6 months post-op, but was wondering what effect now will working out have on me? Thanks.

Bufflehead
on 8/4/15 1:39 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Well, there are some studies showing that exercise leads to weight gain:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/exercising-but-gain ing-weight/?_r=0

And anecdotally, I can say that when I exercise regularly, I tend to lose slower and stall more, even though I am careful not to eat back more than 100 calories per day (and even then it's only when I'm sure I've burned more than that).

luvmypuggies
on 8/4/15 6:24 pm

For me, I don't think exercise affects weight loss much, but it sure makes what is left look better!  It's kind of a trip to see sexy arm muscles and shoulders peeking through, and not-quite-a-six-pack-but-nice-definition on the tummy that I used to hate so much.  I believe there are legit health reasons to exercise after WLS to keep muscles from deteriorating, but I'm not well versed enough on that subject to advise. Maybe someone else has the science on that.

Gwen M.
on 8/4/15 6:45 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I exercise a lot and I never feel like it has an impact either way on my weight loss.  It does, however, have a HUGE positive impact on my health :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Wanda1118
on 8/5/15 4:26 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I tend to gain weight...Dr says it's muscle, but I hate to see it on the scale...eventually it all evens out...good luck!

Tracy D.
on 8/6/15 1:24 am, edited 8/6/15 1:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's the thing:  exercise for overweight people has very little to no effect on actual weight loss.  Exercise DOES have a very positive impact on people who want to maintain weight loss.  

Un-hitch the concepts of "weight loss" and "exercise" in your mind.  Exercise is about increasing overall health ie. lung health, heart health, flexibility, muscle strength.  Those things can't be measured on a bathroom scale and you shouldn't even try because you'll get frustrated.  You CAN measure it by your resting heart rate (it should get lower); your blood pressure (should go down); how you feel walking up stairs (easier); the amount of weight you can lift.  If you really want to go all in then get your body fat tested in an underwater dunk tank and have it done again after 6 months to see the change in your body fat and lean mass.  That's WAY more important than what you actually weigh.  

Often times when you start an exercise plan the muscles get super-sore and the body will grab onto every drop of water to cushion that inflammation.  This results in water retention (a half-gallon of water weighs 4 lbs.) and people will see the scale go up.  They get pissed and then quit exercising.  Wrong thing to do!  Eventually the body adjusts, the water weight drops and you see the scale go down.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 8/6/15 9:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The only way that working out might stall your loss is if you started gaining muscle tone...and that wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AmyDee123
on 8/6/15 10:34 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Working out, is it necessary when losing weight?  No.  Is it beneficial?  Yes.  Will it help you lose weight?  Yes.  Is it complicated?  Yes.  Will it make you gain weight?  Yes, but 99% of the time its water retention while your body is healing from the muscle gain.  Is it from muscle gain?  Most likely not.  That is infinitesimal for overweight people who are not doing massive muscle building routines focused on bulking up.  You won't notice muscle weight gain till you are close to goal and trying to change your muscle mass.  You can weigh everyday and go mad with it, like I do, or you can weigh once a week or once a month and keep your mind at ease.  Just know that if you are doing the right thing your weight will drop eventually.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

White Dove
on 8/6/15 11:48 am - Warren, OH

When I work out it decreases my appetite and I lose weight, but for most people working out increases appetite, leads to taking in more food and therefore to weight gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/6/15 12:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I do a lot of cycling, and when I was losing it made things tricky with eating. I'd ride for 2 hours and burn 800+ calories, and if I didn't eat something beforehand and during, I'd "bonk" hard! So it took a while to figure out how many calories and what kinds of foods to add to keep myself healthy but not slow the weight loss at all.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active