Sip, sip, sip = ouch,ouch,ouch

kranky813
on 8/21/15 10:29 am
VSG on 08/20/15

Its tolerable but it's very uncomfortable to sip. When does it get better

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/15 10:38 am

I must have been lucky but I never really had pain when sipping or swallowing at first.  I was also a teensy weensy sipper because I was so afraid of it hurting or having nausea.  I'd say try even smaller sips, even try a medicine dropper if it's intolerable to swallow now.  You should be fine within 5-7 days though and will notice you can begin to take larger sips over time.  Don't let the pain deter you from getting in fluids.  Suck on Popsicles or ice if you have to.  Dehydration will hurt worse.

kranky813
on 8/21/15 10:49 am
VSG on 08/20/15

Thanks for the reply! I'm still in the hospital si I have to drink one oz every 15. It's just uncomfortable.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/15 10:52 am

Schucks that's no fun.  It will definitely get easier.  These first few days are so rough.  Trust me I had buyers remorse the first few days and was so upset that I made myself go through so much just to be able to lose weight and be healthy.  If it makes you feel better I was able to go to the fair and walk around just fine after 6 days.  It sounds like the nurses are not much help (per your previous post) but I would make sure they no that there is discomfort just in case.

kranky813
on 8/21/15 10:58 am
VSG on 08/20/15

The day nurse here is awesome!!!! It was just those night nurses. The day nurse is really trying to help me in any way she can. I love her! I am prepared for the first week to be horrible. Just wish I could sleep it away. 

alieskia
on 8/24/15 8:05 pm

hearing that you were at  the fair after only 6 days is VERY encouraging, thank you for that! my surgery date is Sept 21 and i was wondering how mobile i will be.. 

boudiceatx
on 8/21/15 2:06 pm

I second the ice chips.  Not only will this help you get in your fluids the cold ice will help with swelling which will help with your pain.  Someone mentioned on here that you could get bags of the crushed ice at Sonic.  If I had known that when I had surgery I would have picked up a bag.  Ice helped me tremendously and I ate crushed ice daily for a while.

E_Saenz
on 8/21/15 11:27 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

My heartfelt prayers go out to you I didn't have that problem i hope you feel better fast.

Elia Maria Saenz

Ahmadk
on 8/21/15 11:49 am

Are u having the pain medication on time . If not ask for it. At your stage i was still taking morphine. If you are taking it every 6 or 8 hours you shouldnt feel anything. Try shouting on them it works haha at least it worked for me. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/21/15 11:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Try different temperatures of water if they'll let you. Some people have better luck with ice water or warm water/broth.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views