New - questions I have

msfitzy
on 8/25/15 5:08 am
with

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum and I'm really hoping someone can help me out with a few things.  I had my VSG surgery on 8/17 (just a week ago).  It was done on an outpatient procedure and I've been recovering pretty well at home.  I returned back to work yesterday and feel pretty good.  I still have some pain on my left side but they said that was to be expected.

I was told that I needed to be taking in 40-60 grams of protein a day but that I needed to have half of that at least by the first week.  I'm successfully getting in 2 protein shakes a day (60 grams).  But, I'm also suppose to be getting in 64 oz of liquids a day.  They said the protein drinks count towards those ounces, but 2 drinks are just 22 ounces.  I'm not even close to getting in the full 64 ounces.  I drink often but not constantly.  One main reason is that I'm not allowed to use a straw and I drink things so much easier with a straw.  Also, I'm so full feeling after the protein drinks that I don't/can't fit any extra water in.

My main question is this:  should I forget the protein drinks and just focus on drinking water?  I don't want to get dehydrated and end up in the hospital. 

Also, I was told I could have thinned/strained cream of chicken soup.  I've been trying to just have this at night.  Last night I made my small bowl (I'm using my baby's bowls that were for baby food) and decided I should see exactly how much is in the bowl.  I measured it and it came to almost a cup of soup.  Isn't that way too much soup?  I decreased it to 1/2 a cup last night.  I'm so afraid that I'm already overeating and not realizing it.  It takes me about 30 minutes to drink all the soup, but I still don't want to be doing something I shouldn't.

I lost 8 pounds in the first week and I feel like this is right on track, but I can't help but want to see more.  I don't feel hungry at all but I also don't feel full.  I've read other posts and it seems that that comes later when you are eating real foods and that right now I shouldn't be feeling full.  I often have nightmares that the surgeon just pretended to do the surgery and didn't actually do it.  And that all this eating less is just my mind thinking I can't eat.  :(  

Could really use some encouragement and guidance on a few things.  Thanks in advance.

cappy11448
on 8/25/15 9:20 am

8 pounds in the first week is EXCELLENT.  Don't set expectations so high that you drive yourself crazy.  If you lose 2 pounds a week that's over 100 pounds in a year.  That's tremendous!  And you'll probably lose more than that at least for the first few months. 

As someone told me, early on, This is a marathon not a sprint.  Does it really matter if you lose all the weight in 6 months or 12 months or 2 years?  If every month you weigh less and are feeling healthier and more mobile, does the rate really matter in the long run? 

I can tell you.  I lost 225 pounds in 18 months and got to a normal BMI.  And I never lost 8 pounds in a week.  My best week was probably 4 pounds. 

In terms of water.  It took me perhaps 6 weeks before I could get 64 ounces down in one day.  At first I had to work really hard to get 40 ounces in.  By 4 weeks I was getting 48 ounces in.  My NP said it was adequate but wouldn't be enough in hot weather.  But I managed without dehydration.  So push the water and do your best.  Watch for symptoms of dehydration and if you see them, call your doctor pronto!

Congratulations on your great start.  You are doing great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Jessica T.
on 8/25/15 10:01 pm

Sounds like you're doing remarkably well. I'm 2 weeks out and just planning a trip up North seemed like it would be too much, I can't imagine going to work! Early on however, I did pu**** too far and became exhausted, I put myself 2 steps back to say the least. I hope you are taking care of yourself. From what I understood 48 was enough water, and don't use a straw even though it seems you may drink more, I question everything and asked the response was that you take in a lot of air with a straw. Good reminder for myself is sip, sip, sip.

happyteacher
on 8/26/15 6:35 am

You are doing awesome so far! The soup also counts as fluids, so don't worry about that. Also, since it is more fluid than solid it is not surprising that you can eat a cup particularly since it is over 30 minutes.You are wise to measure though! Right now you will not be able to feel your normal "I am getting full/too full" signals due to the nerve being freshly cut down there. Hence, go by measuring to ensure you do not over do it. Keep drinking your protein shakes for sure, just increase your water. Keep a water with you at all time and sip constantly all day. If you try to just sit down and drink 8 ounces or 6 times a day that will not go as well compared to gentle sipping constantly.  Great start!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views