Post surgery finally

Bugrussell
on 8/28/15 5:16 pm

After many months of tests and lots of waiting, I did it! Had my surgery Wednesday morning. Had some last minute jitters on Sunday, but luckily my wonderful support group helped me through it.  One woman from my support group was in the hospital the same time I was so it was nice seeing a familiar face.

I'm feeling really good, been getting my liquids in and walking lots. Trying to rest when I can.  Thanks everyone for your support!

any advice for these first few days and weeks would be appreciated.

Mary B.
on 8/28/15 6:23 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

Welcome to the losers bench!  Sounds like you've got everything covered for now.  Remember that a 3 week stall is common.  Don't worry if the scale doesn't show a lower number each day.  Get in as much protein as you can, which may not be a whole lot at first.  

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/15 11:35 am, edited 8/28/15 11:36 am

Congrats, Bugrussell! You made it through and into recovery.

The only advice I can give you, other than the usual sip-and-walk mandate, is to be kind to yourself. We read about sleevers here who are back at their jobs in 2-3 weeks. I think that's the exception rather than the rule. You may have complications, and, unpleasant as they are, they're temporary. You can and will work through them. 

Don't hesitate to call your surgeon for medication if you feel nauseated and can't drink enough. If you have excessive pain or feel that something's not going the way it should, call your surgeon. Don't be shy!

You may not feel as good as you think you should, and you may not lose weight as fast as you think you should. Take it in stride -- as long as you're making progress, don't be hard on yourself.

Expect some "buyer's remorse" -- you may have moments (or days! for me, weeks!) when you think you made an awful mistake getting this surgery. You did not make a mistake. Be kind to yourself and give yourself the time you need to recover. Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 5:48 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Welcome to the losers bench!!!!! It's a marvelous bench to be on!!!! 

Walk, walk, walk.....and when you're tired of that, walk, walk, walk some more! Lol and of course, sip, sip, sip. 

Bugrussell
on 9/2/15 5:09 am

One week out and I'm feeling great.   Thank you all for your wonderful support. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views