HOW MUCH ON PRE OP IS TOO MUCH TO LOSE?

KansasPrincess
on 9/1/15 2:51 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

IVE BEEN ON MY PRE OP DIET FOR 8 DAYS (INCLUDING TODAY) AND I HAVE LOST 12  POUNDS. I HAVE 43 MORE DAYS TO GO... CAN I CONTINUE TO LOSE LIKE THIS FOR THOSE NEXT 43 DAYS OR WILL IT SLOW DOWN EVENTUALLY? IF I LOSE LIKE THIS ON PRE OP CAN I EXPECT IT TO BE THE SAME AFTER SURGERY?

White Dove
on 9/1/15 3:06 pm - Warren, OH

That first loss is water weight.  Your body will adjust.  There is no worry about losing too much.  The more you lose the easier and safer your surgery will be. 

Everyone is different after surgery.  It is not unusual to lose twenty pounds in the first month.  Sounds like you are doing a good job following your pre-op diet.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KansasPrincess
on 9/1/15 3:14 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

AT WHAT POINT IS IT ACTUAL FAT THAT IM LOSING AND NOT JUST THE WATER WEIGHT?

samanthalc
on 9/1/15 4:01 pm
with

I'd guess around 7-10 days you can bet you're losing fat.  One way to tell is to get ketostix at the pharmacy.  I understand if you're releasing ketones in your urine then you can safely bet you're burning fat.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/1/15 4:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If you are eating fewer calories than you burn, you will always burn fat. It's the fluid retention that is constantly fluctuating. It's just impossible in the short term to say how much of which you've lost.

It's great you are losing a lot now. But at some point you will stall. It all averages out in the long term. Losing now is like getting a good running start going into surgery. It will help you reach your goals.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sechax0r
on 9/2/15 7:07 am
VSG on 11/03/14

I lost 64lbs preop in about 2 months, don't sweat it.

Zee Starrlite
on 9/2/15 7:56 am

Actually for your weight, 12 pounds especially the first week IS NOT A LOT.  You have such a long way to go and you will not keep losing this way.  First week, maybe second - lots of water weight that can jump right back on you especially if you eat something you shouldn't.  By week 3 certainly things will slow down.  Even if you lost 100 pounds it would be great and better for you on that operating table.  Lose all you can pre-op 400+ pounds is a lot of pounds to weigh.

Best to you.  Well done, keep going 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/15 1:13 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

The only amount that's too much to lose is if it disqualifies you from surgery, if your insurance bases its coverage on your weight the day of surgery (like mine did). I lost 80 lbs pre-op, got my BMI from 50 to 37, and my surgeon said that's the reason my surgery and recovery were so easy.

You might find (like I did) that your loss post-op is significantly slower than that of someone who didn't lose weight pre-op. You've already lost all the initial water weight that many people don't lose until after surgery. I've lost almost another 50 lbs since surgery, but the most I've lost in a single week since is about 4 lbs.

Most Active