Reason for needing time off.

Newchapterbegins
on 9/4/15 10:54 am

I am struggling with what to say to my boss about why I need time off work. I don't think he would approve of my decision to do this and do not want negativity from anyone right now about improving myself. I'm usually a very upfront person but find this surgery for the time being as a very private topic. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 11:13 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

I'm in a tough business atmosphere, and about 3-4 weeks before my surgery I emailed my boss. I planned my surgery for a Saturday (I'm off on the weekend anyway). I said I was having a small surgical procedure and will be using 2 sick days (the following Monday, Tuesday after surgery), and if all goes well, right back to work on Wednesday. 

It was fine, and I did go back to work on Wednesday.....a little tired, but fine. But everyone is different, my recovery has been easy. 

Newchapterbegins
on 9/4/15 12:03 pm

was told I must stay close to hospital so have booked a hotel for 5 days. Maybe I will use my holidays and just do similar. 

FuturePinUp
on 9/4/15 1:54 pm

I would be as general as possible. By law, they cannot really pry into your medical needs. As the other poster commented, I would mention that I need time off for a medical procedure. Let them know that you're ok, but you'd rather not talk about it. On the bright side, recovery is usually fairly quick. I was back at work 6 days post-op, in my desk job.

I feel you on the negativity. My co-workers do not know about the surgery and neither do most of my friends. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Bufflehead
on 9/4/15 2:29 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Just say you are having surgery and need x days off on the advice of your surgeon. If he acts like he wants to know why (which is illegal but I understand some people don't know that and overstep bounds of both the law and common decency), you could either act somewhat shocked and say, "I'm sorry, but it's really personal" or bru**** off laughingly with something like "you think you want the gory details, but I promise you, you really don't." You can reassure him that you don't have cancer or anything and will be just fine and return to work soon, barring complications.

The one thing I would not do under any cir****tances is lie and make up some fake surgery (gall bladder, hernia repair, etc.) that you aren't actually having. Because if the truth ever does come out -- and it often does -- it will make you look like a dishonest, untrustworthy person.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/4/15 2:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's nobody's business what you're doing with your body!

The easiest answer is to say "I'm having a medical procedure and need time to recover." If pressed further, you don't need anything more than "My doctor isn't worried about my recovery and says I'll be fine to return to work [whenever]." Your boss doesn't need to know if it's WLS, a boob job, or an appendectomy.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Neesie57
on 9/4/15 10:32 am, edited 9/4/15 10:36 am
VSG on 08/04/15

Don't lie, but he doesn't need know everything.  I agree with some other members, just say that you're having surgery or a medical procedure, and that it's personal.  Plan on taking more than just a few days off of work.  I wouldn't have been ready until the two week mark, so ask your doctor how long he recommends.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

jamrodriguez
on 9/5/15 12:38 am

I agree with previous posters, however it might get complicated if you need to file for FMLA or STD. I had to get paperwork from my surgeon faxed to my hr department detailing my surgery and my recovery time. I also had 6 week long work restrictions, which my boss had to clear with my hr department  (basically she had to say she was okay with it). I was very open about my surgery with my boss, as well as with my employees and peers, because I wanted all the support and resources I could get. I understand why you feel you want to keep it to yourself, but just be prepared that you might have to tell SOMEONE in your company about the surgery, especially if you work for a corporation or large company.

Racewalker48
on 9/5/15 5:17 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I work for a large company who has an outside vendor that collects the details of your medical leave and takes care of the approvals based on my company's current medical leave/FMLA procedures.  Your employer does not need to know what procedure you are having, so telling your boss you are having a medical procedure/surgery and need time for recovery is probably plenty.  I told my manager as soon as I knew the dates that I would be going on medical leave, I did not tell him why, just for how long and we worked out coverage for the team I managed while I was gone.  The year I had WLS I also had 2 knee replacements, so timely notification was important for me as i was out for a total of 14 weeks in 2014.  That includes the 2 weeks I was out for the WLS.   Know your rights and what you are required to disclose versus what you want to disclose in the workplace.  My experience has taught me that the workplace can be a land mine when you decide to share personal/medical information about yourself.  People gossip, and sometimes you are subjected to unwanted opinions/criticism.  Sometimes you are given wonderful support.  If you think this surgery is something to keep private, then by all means keep it private.  Good luck in your upcoming surgery. 

Newchapterbegins
on 9/5/15 5:44 am

I appreciate the advice and it has helped my wording to my boss for time off. I work with all men and just don't feel they would understand my struggles and personal choice for this life change.  Thanks to everyone *****sponded it does mean a lot to have support from others who walk in my weight loss shoes. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views