Homemade almond milk awesomeness and questions...

happyteacher
on 9/28/15 4:30 pm

Can't believe it took me this long to make homemade almond milk. If you have a good blender (Vitamix, Blendtec) then it is super easy. Soak 1 cup almonds in water over night (covered with a clean cloth). Next day, drain the almonds and rinse well. Toss them in the blender, add 3 or 4 cups water (depends on your taste- most recipes say 3, I use 4 to drop the calories), a little vanilla (1/2 teaspoon) and a little stevia if desired. Blend on high for 1 minute. Pour into a nut bag and strain (available on Amazon). Best part is the pulp can be put on a cookie sheet and baked for 2 hours at 200 degrees, and now you have almond meal. This saves a small fortune, and the almond milk is a lot better than the boxed stuff and no added preservative crap. Use raw almonds if possible or non-roasted, but even roasted works. 

What I am not so sure about is the calorie count. My homemade stuff for sure has a higher fat content than my normal 30 calorie per cups stuff that I buy. I am pretty confident about this because the store bought stuff will not froth in my milk frother for coffee. My homemade stuff does. With cow's milk, the higher the fat content the more froth you get so I assume it is similar for the almond milk. I am just not using the froth for my coffee while I whittle off the last stubborn pound back to goal weight, but does anyone happen to know what the calorie count would be for 8 ounces?? I was all over the Internet and saw all kinds of different theories, which varied wildly. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 9/28/15 5:26 pm

I once tried a Martha Stewart recipe for a cup of home-made sweetened almond milk. It was a lot of work for one cup, but it was delicious. I don't use dairy milk or nut milks very much, but if I ever decide I want some, your recipe sounds great. Thanks.

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

hollykim
on 9/28/15 5:41 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

Can't believe it took me this long to make homemade almond milk. If you have a good blender (Vitamix, Blendtec) then it is super easy. Soak 1 cup almonds in water over night (covered with a clean cloth). Next day, drain the almonds and rinse well. Toss them in the blender, add 3 or 4 cups water (depends on your taste- most recipes say 3, I use 4 to drop the calories), a little vanilla (1/2 teaspoon) and a little stevia if desired. Blend on high for 1 minute. Pour into a nut bag and strain (available on Amazon). Best part is the pulp can be put on a cookie sheet and baked for 2 hours at 200 degrees, and now you have almond meal. This saves a small fortune, and the almond milk is a lot better than the boxed stuff and no added preservative crap. Use raw almonds if possible or non-roasted, but even roasted works. 

What I am not so sure about is the calorie count. My homemade stuff for sure has a higher fat content than my normal 30 calorie per cups stuff that I buy. I am pretty confident about this because the store bought stuff will not froth in my milk frother for coffee. My homemade stuff does. With cow's milk, the higher the fat content the more froth you get so I assume it is similar for the almond milk. I am just not using the froth for my coffee while I whittle off the last stubborn pound back to goal weight, but does anyone happen to know what the calorie count would be for 8 ounces?? I was all over the Internet and saw all kinds of different theories, which varied wildly. 

I haveneen making it for a while now. I use it in my protein shakes. 

My fitness pal lists it under homemade almond milk but I can't remember the stats. 

happyteacher
on 9/28/15 5:47 pm

But can the MFP number be trusted type thing? Anyone can enter in info there... just not sure :(

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

hollykim
on 9/28/15 5:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

i figured it was better than nothing. Why would someone jut arbitrarily put something wrong in?

happyteacher
on 9/28/15 5:58 pm

Honestly, I have no idea. But I double check the nutrition frequently compared to either the labels or posted on the website, and crap is wrong all the time. With the milk, it would also be totally dependent on how much water is used... no way of knowing if I used more or less. Don't get me wrong, it is something... and that is a whole lot better than no idea. I was just hoping to find something from a known source. 

happyteacher
on 9/29/15 2:35 pm

The Vitamix website is showing 180 calories per cup. However, they do not strain out the pulp in the recipe. Instead, they offer that as an option. So at worse, 180 calories. (Far worse than 30 cals, but strain, add water, etc. and the calories for sure come down significantly.)

hollykim
on 9/29/15 6:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

straining out the pulp would make a big difference I would think. Maybe half the calories as un strained

Most Active