sleeve revision due to gastric reflux

terrak
on 10/1/15 9:50 am

Hi Everyone.  It's been a long time since I have been on and always posted under the sleeve.  My 4 year anniversary is coming up Oct. 3rd  and I had the surgery when I was 68  (came late to the party!) I have maintained my 105 lb loss.   But in the last two months I have lost another 17lbs.   Normally I would celebrate,  however it's because  after eating only a few bites I feel a fist pushing at the bottom of the esophagus, have to burp and then undigested food comes up followed by choking stringy phlegm.  I always feel better after the food comes up but I have a hard time even keeping some of my protein shake down.  I would occasionally have "sliming" over the past 4 years if I ate too fast, wrong foods etc., but nothing like this. I have an appmt with my surgeon but can't get in until Oct. 13.  Had an endoscopy and barium swallow which was normal but beyond that gastro docs do not want to touch me due to the sleeve. From what I have read my solution may have to be a revision to a GYN which at my age I hate to even think of! Has anyone else had this or can any of you think what this might be or how to handle this?  I really do need your help.  Thanks

happyteacher
on 10/1/15 4:12 pm

I literally just went though something very similar. I had a surgery in July (unrelated to vsg). I took a lot of Nsaids to try to combat the inflammation and scarring. I started to notice stomach aches, nausea after eating along with bloating and gas. Made an appointment that was 2 weeks later (this was in August). By the time the appointment rolled around I couldn't keep down solid food, and had put myself on a liquid diet. Got referred to a Gastro doc. Put on 40 mg omnaprazole in the AM, 40 at night for a couple days- then down to 40 just in the morning. Had an endoscopy- only showed an irritated stomach lining and scarring from the acid. It took a week or so to stop getting sick, but now a little over a month out on the higher dose of Omnaprazole I am back to pretty much normal. I am still careful with what I eat though and avoid stuff that I know will aggravate it. Just had a follow up with the doc, and he has me on the same dose for the next 2 months. Then I drop down to 20 mg for a while, then see him in 6 months and likely will drop the meds by then.

Revising the sleeve? If you have an incorrectly shaped one (wider at the top) then I get it, as that supposedly can make it worse. But if designed correctly I though that the revision surgury would switch you over to rny??  I would for sure seek a second opinion if it were me. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

terrak
on 10/1/15 5:12 pm

Thanks so much, fellow teacher,  for responding. I was on several different proton pumps, the last one being omnaprazole. and had to finally get off as they did not seem to help any more and they are not meant for long term use.  In fact there is a lot of info out there on how the stomach will actually make more acid when the proton pumps turn it off as the body needs acid for digestion etc.  Plus there is a rebound effect when you try to get off of them so your Dr's plan  to go slow is a good one. The mystery here is why everything was good for 3 years, then periodically some issues, until two months ago when this started and now is every time I eat.  Just hope I can hold on until the 13th!

terrak
on 11/1/15 2:05 pm

Thanks so much for your response. After motility tests and stomach emptying test it was determined the inly fix for the gastric outlet obstruction was the by pass which I had last Mon. 26 of Oct. When he got in there 5 inches of my stomach had protruded thru the diaphragm up into the esophagus, thus acting like a dam preventing food from getting into the stomach. That is also why the proton pump meds were not working.

I have since done research and found that even if you did not have GERD before the sleeve, you are more prone to have it later due to the pressure the sleeve creates. It was a good ride for 4 years but now I am so depressed having to start all over again.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/15 2:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry you had to go through this. But hopefully the issue is fixed now, and you won't have further issues.

Once you are done healing, you won't even be able to tell the difference between bypass and sleeve.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

terrak
on 11/1/15 5:10 pm

Thanks for making me feel it will all be worthwhile. I really did not have a choice since I could keep nothing down. I am having a much harder time but it is a bigger surgery and I am 4 years older. Just get overwhelmed with the routine again!

Most Active