Missing Starbucks Lattes? Finally found a great on plan alternative!

happyteacher
on 10/3/15 12:06 pm

Coffee is an important part of my day, period. For the last couple of years I would leave room in the daily plan for 1 venti skinny decaf caramel latte, but damn that is an expensive habit. I just couldn't come up with something at home that I liked as well. Finally, finally I did so I thought I would share.

Costco was handing out samples of coffee made in the Nespresso VertuoLine machine. It was pricey, but I already was using a Keurig so this would substitute. The coffee out of the Nespresso is so far superior to any Keurig option it is not even in the same conversation. Robust flavor, strong enough, and faster than a Keurig. I tried different pods until I found the type that I like, and now use that along with almond milk to make my latte. I had never seen a milk frother work, but that was always the missing component for me- and this comes with it. I have since bought a second (far less expensive) frother that actually works better for work. In all, super fast, easy to use, great coffee/latte/capaccino. Less expensive than Starbucks, but pricier than Keurig.

1 expresso pod Intenso (or decaf- but one of the more intense flavor profiles)

4 ounces almond milk (I use the 30 calorie stuff, but it doesn't froth well or my homemade which gets super frothy, but pretty sure it is higher in calories due to increased fat content)

2 shots SF Torani salted caramel.

A venti would be double of the above. I actually prefer this over my normal latte, and less calories too! You do lose the protein benefit though due to the Almond milk. You can use ff milk which will increase protein and modestly increase calories.

Cautions: The Vertuo machine doesn't make a super hot cup. I bought this due to the option of making the Americano cup, but now regret it. The pods are pricier for the vertuoline compared to their other models. The other models only make expresso though, and you add in boiling water for americano. I realize now that I prefer the expresso pods anyway, so the other machine totally would have worked and I would have saved quite a bit on the pods.

Still, I am spending overall a lot less. I no longer go to Starbucks and my previous Starbucks budget more than paid for the machine in less than 2 months, and after 3 months covered the cost of the coffee. Best part is, I like my coffee better!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 10/4/15 9:25 am

Wow! You really do love your coffee to go through so much effort to get that perfect cuppa. Glad you found it. I love coffee too, but a supermarket flavored coffee that I make with a French press is enough for me.

I'm a chai lover, too, and when the longing for one hits me, I find Tazo chai made with artificial sweetener and low-fat almond milk is just enough to satisfy the itch. I don't drink them every day because I don't trust the sweetness -- I'm worried it will trigger my now-dormant sweet tooth.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

zann50
on 10/4/15 10:04 am

Thank you for sharing! I love my coffee too. I have been looking for ways to pump it up. I may go online and see new machines. I have been using a French press for a long time...I need to experiment.

sechax0r
on 10/4/15 4:49 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

Double Short SF Vanilla Soy Latte.

This is for the single shot. The double reduces the soy milk by one ounce making it a little better.

% Daily Value*
utrition Facts Per Serving (8 fl oz)
Calories 90 Calories from Fat 20
Total Fat 2.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 65mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 12g 4%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 9g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A
6%
Vitamin C
0%
Calcium
20%
Iron
4%
Caffeine 75mg** % Daily Value*
utrition Facts Per Serving (8 fl oz)
Calories 90 Calories from Fat 20
Total Fat 2.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 65mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 12g 4%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 9g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A
6%
Vitamin C
0%
Calcium
20%
Iron
4%
Caffeine 75mg**

soundview
on 10/6/15 5:10 pm
VSG on 09/28/15

Thank you for posting this I Love Coffee!

I use and Italian espresso maker and I'm not far enough out from my surgery for coffee yet but I am saving your post and will try the almond milk and sf caramel for my first cup. I've been looking at the Starbucks menu online to work out something healthy but I love espresso and I can get a big sf caramel syrup at my Costco so your drink sound like a winner.

Looking forward to trying it.

Virginia

happyteacher
on 10/7/15 4:22 pm

I never noticed caramel syrup at Costco before- is it sugar free? Is it in the coffee aisle? The best you can do calorie wise is use fat free milk at Starbucks. You do get protein that way, but it spends your daily calorie budget pretty quickly... and I am more than 1 coffee a day type chic. With the low calorie almond milk, I could have 5 lattes for less calories than the skinny caramel latte (venti) at Starbucks, albeit not much protein.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views