Confession....

suzyq584
on 10/2/15 1:07 pm

I blew it. I couldn't take it anymore and now I feel like crap physically and mentally.

Here is what I just ate...

Cheetos - Puffs 338 calories

Culver's - Small Fries (3/4) 206 calories

Culver's - Buffalo Chicken Tender (1) 115 calories

Culver's - Cheese Curds (1/2) 255 calories

UGH....I fell off plan and fell off plan pretty hard.

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

RESETBUTTONS
on 10/2/15 1:51 pm

You need to tell your sugeon

suzyq584
on 10/2/15 2:16 pm

Thanks for making me do that...I called them and confessed. The surgeon said to STOP EATING and follow my liquid diet only but my surgery date is still on.

I think the idea that my surgery may be cancelled has scared me back into being on track and staying there.

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/15 4:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Fear is good. If you slip and eat stuff like this immediately post op, you're at risk for ripping your staple line and getting yourself into a very dangerous situation.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MF_Brooklyn
on 10/5/15 1:25 pm

Are you pre or post op? I see you've already lost over 100 lbs and are no stranger I'm sure to diets plans, new ways of eating and all of that.

I haven't been on the forum recently, so I apologize if you've explained, but have you thought about sticking with a therapist of some sort that specializes in behavioral therapy? Or a support group?

Kerrilp37
on 10/2/15 5:20 pm

You didn't blow it. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off and continue to do the diet! You've got this.

I'm day 5 pre op diet today and I had a pretty good day. I know each day will be an emotional rollercoaster for awhile so tomorrow can be completely different. (like day 4 argh!!) I am avoiding situations where I can get myself into trouble. Just hanging out and keeping busy where I can't cheat. Still a long way to go....one day at a time. (sometimes its minute by minute at a time)

Msr03
on 10/2/15 6:38 pm

I must say...I to did some snacking post-op when I couldn't take the hunger pain. I look back now and know I should of been stronger. I understand what your going through, it's tough. But hey...the good news is your working on just about the hardest part! I had surgery May 5th 2015 and weighted 314. Here we are Oct I'm weighing in at 202? be strong because the weight lift after is so awesome and worth this pain. Always remember how LUCKY we all are to of been blessed with a tool that makes weight loss so much easier. Not all persons have this opportunity. So when you feel hungry just remember your lucky you are?

good luck

WereYorkie
on 10/2/15 8:20 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

I think you may want to ask yourself, "Why the heck did I do that?!"

And answer yourself honestly...

Subconsciously, were you trying to sabotoge your surgery? Is this something you've done in other aspects of your life? A big change is going to happen (whether it's good or bad) aaaannnddddd....EAT!

Many of us have done this. Learning new stress management techniques are key to long term success in WLS.

You goofed. Learn from it. In the long run, use this as a learning experience. Don't beat yourself up so much that you fall back into the "cheat, guilt, beat-yourself-up, repeat" cycle.

It will pay off in the long run.

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/15 8:19 am

You've gotten some very good advice. I am concerned though, because of the food choices you made. I agree that people learn best from the states that they make, but it is important that you use this as a learning experience.

Is this type of behavior indicative of dieting in the past? I mean you didn't just eat, you chose crap and sort of mini binged. I hope you are looking seriously at the real prompts that caused you to eat. Clearly it wasn't that you were hungry for something to nourish your body. What emotional need did the eating fulfill? If you can really figure it out and be honest with yourself you'll be so much farther ahead of the game.

What you are headed towards is life changing in a gloriously positive way, but that doesn't mean it's still not scary as hell! I use food to cope- have for about 45 years! It has taken me a lot of work, self reflection and determination to start to change that behavior. So don't expect perfection from yourself. That's just not realistic. You are learning. If I can recommend one thing for you, it would be to get support for the emotional aspect of what lies ahead. This path is filled with joy, but drizzled with dealing with disquieting emotions.

Please read this next bit carefully. The first six weeks are crucial for healing. Most leaks happen AFTER LEAVING THE HOSPITAL DUE TO NON-COMPLIANT EATING! Commit to being compliant now. Write a list of strategies to keep you on track. Write another list of possible temptations and emotional situations that could throw you off track. Devise ways to navigate through those situations. Rehearse your reaction if that will help. Also, in your case do not put yourself in situations in which you will feel deprived. I think that will be too hard for you early out.

There is no reason to beat yourself up over your transgression. Learn from it. Plan for the future and move ahead!

My best to you.

psychoticparrot
on 10/3/15 10:50 am

Your pre-op diet is designed to shrink your liver in preparation for surgery. Weight loss by itself is not the goal. A less fatty, and thus smaller, liver will be easier for your surgeon to work around during surgery. That's why a single binge didn't cancel your surgery. But don't do it again!

Kairk's advice, as usual, is excellent. Because your new stomach will be so much smaller, you need to choose the most nutritious food you can find. Junk food will slide through and stop your weight loss in its tracks. A wonderful benefit of having the sleeve is that when you fill it with high-quality protein and a few high-quality carbs, your cravings for junk carbs will diminish. Work with your sleeve as a team, and you'll do fine.

Here's a tip that helped me tremendously with junk-carb cravings -- get anything that's not nutritious and sleeve-friendly out of your house. Gather up what's left of those Cheetos, along with any sweets, all breads and flour-based foods, grains, and prepared foods like frozen dinners, and throw them in the dumpster. Or donate them to your local food bank if it makes you feel better about it. If you keep them in the house, you will eat them. When your stomach is healed enough to eat solid food, buy lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs, (tofu and beans if you want to cut back on red meat), some fresh non-starchy vegetables, and a little fresh fruit. These will be the basis of your eating for the rest of your life.

BTW, your honesty about the binge is commendable, knowing as you must have done, that we would jump all over you!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views