5 WEEKS POST OP EATING 6 OZ?!?!?!

momtastik
on 10/8/15 8:10 am

I'm exactly 5 weeks post op and woke up the other day able to eat 6 oz?!?! What is going on? Is this normal? I'm freaking out. Please help.

emelar
on 10/8/15 8:40 am - TX

6oz of what? Chicken breast? Protein shakes? Jello? Popcorn?

And, more important, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Measure your food and eat no more than you've measured. At 5 weeks, I think my guidelines were 1.5 to 2 oz of food at a time.

rocky513
on 10/8/15 8:41 am - WI

Did your surgeon give you guidelines on how much you should be eating at 5 weeks out?

You are supposed to be measuring your food. The nerves in your stomach have been cut and will take months to heal. You can not trust your new stomach to tell you that you have eaten enough. Measuring must become your new normal. You must train yourself to be satisfied with the small portion you measure out and then stop eating. Just because you can eat 6 ounces does not mean that you should. You have control of what and how much you eat.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/15 9:02 am

We need more information!!!!!

6 oz of what????? Or is it 3/4 cup by volume (which a lot of people call 6 oz)?

What the 6 oz is comprised of makes a huge difference. Is is 6 oz of Jello or 6 oz of cooked chicken breast? I could eat 2 cups of Jello today, but not even 6 oz of chicken breast. Different types of food work differently in a sleeve.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/8/15 9:44 am - MI

Why are you trying to eat 6 ounces is the more important question? I'm sure your Doctors plan doesn't call for 6 ounces of food this soon out. I'll be a year out a few weeks and I still measure everything out & I'm only eating 4 ounces at one setting.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

momtastik
on 10/8/15 3:09 pm

I haven't been measuring bc I was just a eating few oz. and didn't realize how much it actually was! I am using my 2 oz measuring cup and am not going over 4 now! I didn't think it was even possible to do that so I guess I wasn't even worried about it. After talking to a few friends that had it done, I'm correcting myself and will be monitoring closely.

Tracy D.
on 10/9/15 10:28 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

2 oz. of fluid (which is measured by a measuring cup) is NOT the same as 2 oz. of protein (which you have to measure with a scale). You probably don't need to freak out. But make sure you have a good digital scale to measure the protein you're eating. At this point you definitely don't want to be eating more than 2 oz. of dense protein at a sitting.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

momtastik
on 10/8/15 3:25 pm

I was not measuring anything! I was eating yesterday and realized that it looked like a lot more than what I had been eating then looked it up for oz. I know now I should have been doing this from the start! After realizing what was going on I am measuring everything and monitoring time, etc. I am going by 3/4 cup volume. Is this right? My surgeon guidelines didn't specify about measuring or anything. I didn't even think this was possible so I guess out of mind... Im trying to remember what I ate. I'll let you k ow when I do. Blonde moment!

Most Active