9 days post op, sudden diarrhea

Autum1031
on 11/25/15 12:38 pm

I was sleeved on 11/16.  So things were going OK with my liquid, post op diet right up until last night at 9 PM, when I was suddenly hit with a nasty bought of diarrhea, about an hour after I finished my Muscle Milk (lactose free) protein drink, something I've been tolerating fine for the past week.  Then got woken up at 6 AM by another wave...and another wave after drinking some Crystal Lite (again, working fine the last several days)....and again about 15 min after finishing my protein drink.

I know diarrhea can happen easily during this stage but I'm baffled why now, after several days of tolerating things OK.  It's miserable, I can't seem to drink anything without running to the bathroom.  Any advice??   Is this normal, or should I be concerned that this suddenly started after 8-9 days?

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/15 2:12 pm

There is a reason why the saying "liquid in, liquid out" floats around the boards. You, unfortunately, seem to be suffering from that syndrome. 

I went along just fine for about a week - actually kind of constipated - and then the flood gates opened. It lasted a few days and then things went back to normal. Once I started eating diarrhea became a thing of the past. Quite the opposite actually! 

If you are concerned, I would certainly encourage you to call your surgeon's office before the long weekend so you can get his/her advice and put your mind at ease. 

psychoticparrot
on 11/25/15 7:51 pm

Ah! You bring back memories of the early post-op days! Sudden, severe diarrhea for seemingly no reason at all. Good times! 

And fortunately, absolutely normal during surgery recovery. It will pass (pun intended).

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active