I am struggling. ...

Wyldblu
on 11/28/15 3:42 pm

Hi. Had my surgery 10/29/15, and I am completely struggling getting in enough protein.  I have tried numerous shakes, different brands, flavors, homemade with powder and store bought.  I get very nauseous and my stomach is very uncomfortable for the rest of the day when I force myself to drink them. As it is, getting in 64 Oz of liquid is a feat I've yet to accomplish,  but the shakes....I am at a loss of what to do. I am feeling pretty weak when my husband and I go for walks, and I am sure this is a big part of it. Please help!

Wyldblu

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/15 4:13 pm

I know that for some people the Isopure drinks work very well because they are clear liquids - like water. Some of the Syntrax Nectar proteins are also very thin and water when mixed with water. You might want to give either of those a try. 

psychoticparrot
on 11/28/15 4:22 pm

It's only been four weeks since your surgery. It often takes that long before you start feeling better. Sometimes it takes even longer. I didn't start feeling human, let alone feeling well, at four weeks. You're still healing, and it often takes quite a bit of time to heal when most of your stomach has been removed!

Keep working on the liquids; protein goals are not as important at this stage. You can expect to feel weak for perhaps another week or two, but you will soon start perking up. 

You might want to call your surgeon for Zofran or other anti-nausea medicine. It made a huge difference in how much liquid I was able to drink at that stage. Don't suffer needlessly.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

rocky513
on 11/28/15 5:02 pm - WI

Could you be lactose intolerant?  Lactose intolerance can cause nausea, excess gas, and diarrhea.  Is your protein powder/drink lactose free?  Check the label. Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  If you protein contains whey concentrate it has lactose in it.  Try eliminating milk from your diet for a week and see if you improve. Mix your shakes with water, almond milk, or cashew milk.  

I was sick for months before I figured out that my protein powder had lactose in it and I was lactose intolerant.  When I switched to whey isolate the nausea and diarrhea went away.  I can eat  Greek yogurt and cheese, but milk or cream make me sick.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Wyldblu
on 11/28/15 5:36 pm

Never been lactose intolerant. I don't drink milk. but no other dairy, or milk containing product has ever bothered me. My protein is whey isolate powder. I don't know what it is, but when I called the doctor's office they connected me to their Nutritionist. She said I had no choice but to drink the shakes. I almost cried. I will get the clear isolate and try one, but this is a huge struggle for me, that I did not anticipate. 

Wyldblu

Laura in Texas
on 11/28/15 5:46 pm

What do you mix your powder with? Some people become lactose intolerant AFTER surgery even if they were not lactose intolerant before surgery. It is worth a try. Eliminate all milk products and see if you feel better.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 11/28/15 5:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

A LOT of us become lactose intolerant after surgery. It's quite common. I don't think they understand why WLS kicks off lactose intolerance, but it does.

I'm not saying that's what your issue is, but don't rule it out. It's easy to eliminate all lactose and find out for sure.

There are also egg white protein powders you can try, rather than whey. Whey is still better nutritionally than egg white, but it might be better for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Debbie R.
on 11/29/15 1:03 pm - Las Cruces, NM

My doctor sells Bariatric Advantage. It is very good, doesn't even taste like a protein shake. Orange Cream is my favorite.

happyteacher
on 11/29/15 3:49 pm

Try changing the temperature. Try adding some powder to hot chocolate, creamy chicken soup (high protein version), etc. I also did a lot of greek yogurt with a little powder sprinkled in early out. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

SilverGirl2015
on 11/29/15 5:52 pm

I seem to be having a hard time too - being able to eat enough actual food to get enough protein.  Everyone is different, but here is what works for me.  I use Genepro flavorless protein powder, 30 grams per small scoop.  It mixes very easily.  I mix a scoop into a 6 oz Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt which has about 10 - 12 grams of protein. I like the vanilla, or the coconut or key lime.  So that gives me a big protein shot without eating too much.  My other go to protein boost is to mix four or five scoops of the protein powder, a packet of fat free sugar free pudding of whatever flavor I feel  like, 2 cups of milk - I use Fairlife milk  which has extra protein.  Mix in the blender and pour into four or five small 6oz serving cups with lids and keep in the fridge.  Luckily for me, I actually like the premixed premier protein shakes - they have 30 grams each.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views