How do I log this?

suzyq584
on 11/30/15 7:42 am

I was doing so well logging everything that went into my mouth until I found a favorite recipe, a staple in my diet that I can't figure out how to log so I didn't.  Then I didn't log anything and I'm sure that is why I'm stuck at this 240 - 243 weight and can't break into the 230s.  My goal is into the 220's by Christmas which is RAPIDLY approaching so I HAVE to get serious!

Here is the recipe for the staple I'm referring to Buffalo Chicken Dip:

11 oz shredded chicken (boiled in spices then shredded)

1 package low fat cream cheese

1/2 cup Franks Red Hot

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

I can add the recipe to FP but I have no idea how many servings it is.  I guess I'd have to divide it all up and see how many I get?  Any other ideas are appreciated!    I HAVE to get back to logging!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

wyo_sarah
on 11/30/15 8:14 am

You could log each ingredient separately or after you make it, weigh or measure to see how many servings you get. I usually just guess...you could probably find a buffalo chicken dip that is probably very similar but that wouldn't be as accurate.

SDenae
on 11/30/15 8:21 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

If you're using myfitnesspal, you can put it into a recipe if you know how many servings it makes and it will divide it up for you.  From the phone app, choose "more", then "my recipes and food", and then the + at the top right of the screen.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

hollykim
on 11/30/15 8:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 30, 2015 at 3:42 PM Pacific Time, suzyq584 wrote:

I was doing so well logging everything that went into my mouth until I found a favorite recipe, a staple in my diet that I can't figure out how to log so I didn't.  Then I didn't log anything and I'm sure that is why I'm stuck at this 240 - 243 weight and can't break into the 230s.  My goal is into the 220's by Christmas which is RAPIDLY approaching so I HAVE to get serious!

Here is the recipe for the staple I'm referring to Buffalo Chicken Dip:

11 oz shredded chicken (boiled in spices then shredded)

1 package low fat cream cheese

1/2 cup Franks Red Hot

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

I can add the recipe to FP but I have no idea how many servings it is.  I guess I'd have to divide it all up and see how many I get?  Any other ideas are appreciated!    I HAVE to get back to logging!

if I was logging the ingredients in his recipe I would add the following:

2 ounces boiled chicken

1 tablespoon cream cheese

1 tsp hot sauce

1 ounce cheddar cheese

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 8:58 am

I went ahead and logged it in as 2 oz, chicken breast , 1 oz cheddar cheese, 1 TBS cream cheese and 1 tsp hot sauce. (That will give a lower calorie count than your recipe because your cream cheese amount using the whole package is going to be a lot more.) Anyway, your calorie count using the portions Hollykim mentioned gives 225 calories, 15 grams of fat and 21 grams of protein. 

Depending on how much of this you're eating I can understand the slowed weight loss. 

Honestly, I'd use shredded mexican blend cheese - the low fat version and use only 1/2 ounce. It will cut the calories down by about 75. 

Hope that helps. 

suzyq584
on 11/30/15 11:07 am

Thanks for the calculations.  I will definitely change the cheese to cut down on the calories - thanks for the suggestion. 

I usually eat 2 - 3oz servings of this each day during the weeks when it is my staple.  Cutting the cheese...still think it would cause slowed weight loss?

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 11:15 am

I will be honest with you. I would not have eaten this concoction during my WL phase. I kept to as lean and low fat as possible while trying to get the most bang for my protein to calorie buck. IF I were to make this for myself during a WL phase (like now) I would limit myself to 1 serving per day if I made it with cheese. If I made it without cheese I would allow myself to eat it twice per day. During WL I would make it as follows:

2 oz chicken breast, 1 TBS greek yogurt, 1 TBS ripe avocado, hot sauce to taste.

81 calories and 14.6 grams protein. That's about all I could eat at your stage. 

Again, my two cents. You have to decide what works best for you. 

suzyq584
on 11/30/15 2:14 pm

I appreciate your honesty.  I am such a picky eater that I'm finding it difficult to figure out what to eat.  I like this dish because the hot sauce is so flavorful it masks the taste of the chicken well.  I like chicken well enough but not without lots of flavor added (guess that means I don't really like it huh?)

I also like beef but haven't been eating much of it.  Maybe I need to eat more of it and lay off this type of dish? 

I've looked at many recipes but most seem to be for maintenance.

Any advice you can give me is more than welcomed!  I want to get this weight off healthily but as fast as possible!

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 4:22 pm

Best advice I have is this:

1. Measure and Log your food. I'm talking every single bite - no exceptions. 
  2. Choose your calorie level and macros. Mine were 600-800 calories per day (once I got to that level which took about 4 weeks to hit 600-650 per day and even then that might be a stretch. Could have been more like 8 weeks), 80+ grams of protein per day,
Oneillch
on 11/30/15 5:39 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Try using the fat free cream cheese to cut addtl fat/calories, but check the carbs. Some ff products have higher carb content. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views