7 weeks post-op and sick

paflyersgal
on 11/29/15 5:12 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hey Everyone,

I am 7 week post-op and feeling sooooo sick. I'm not sick from my surgery, I'm cold/flu like sick. I have a real bad sore throat and my right ear hurts. I'm having trouble swallowing and eating is not on my menu.

I called my doctor and of course she told me to drink tea with honey and take some Tylenol. However; honey=sugar. I need something that will work just as good but isn't as bad for me.

Is there any OTC cough suppressant that are safe to use? I haven't been able to reach my surgeons office to ask, and I'm wondering how something like DayQuil would react to my new stomach. 

I did get some sugar free halls drops, but they aren't even touching the soreness of my throat. The doctor doesn't want to give me antibiotics she wants me to fight it off on my own. So what I'm looking for I guess are some healthier suggestions, before I would just use some cough syrup and drink lots of honey and tea but those things aren't in my menu anymore. 

Karen

rocky513
on 11/29/15 6:06 am - WI

Colds and flu are a virus, so antibiotics would not cure them anyway.  With a virus, you just have to ride it out.  Have you tried gargling with warm sal****er?  That usually works for me when I have a sore throat.  They make sugar free honey too, but it's loaded with sugar alcohols that could upset your stomach.

Tylenol makes cold medication.  I don't know how effective it is, but you could try it.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

White Dove
on 11/29/15 8:05 am - Warren, OH

I gargle with sal****er and also use the Neti pot several times a day.  The Neti pot cleans a place in the throat that gargling cannot reach. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 10:23 am

DayQuil has been fine with my sleeve. It's made with Tylenol, so no worries there. I've been using it this week to deal with a crazy sore throat, laryngitis bug I picked up. I'd give it a try. Sometimes you can't avoid the sugar in medicines. I don't worry about it because it's such a meager amount it's really insignificant. You need to feel better, so go ahead and take it. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 12:31 pm

Sal****er gargle, neti pot, peppermint tea, and a steam bowl with eucalyptus oil. 

diane S.
on 11/29/15 12:34 pm

throat coat tea is soothing to the throat. also riccola lemon mint -sugar free- is most soothing to me. gl.  you can also get that sore throat anesthetizing spray that helps. forgot the name of it.   gl   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

lking
on 11/30/15 8:36 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Is it Chloreseptic (sp), by chance?

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

ubserved
on 11/29/15 1:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about the sugar in the honey for this purpose. Also my surgeon told me otc cough medicines like Tylenol Cold, etc is more than fine, just stick to the ones that are tylenol based and not aspirin based and you'll be fine.

psychoticparrot
on 11/29/15 9:14 pm

Hope you feel better soon.

(with or without honey)

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

paflyersgal
on 11/30/15 4:59 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Thanks for all the advice! It was greatly appreciated!! 

Love Yous Guys!

Karen

Most Active