questions for 5+ years post op

mohamedwaly
on 1/15/16 5:22 am

hello

iam 37 BMI & i want to make the VSG and i have some questions:

1-have you any Complications in long term?

2-did you Remorse that you do this surgery?

3-did you regain your weight?or some of it?

thank you

cappy11448
on 1/15/16 7:26 am

I'm only 2.5 years post op, but I'll answer anyway

I have had no complications.  When I asked my doctor what types of problems/complications I might anticipate long term, he said that with the VSG to expect no problems. Once the tummy is healed, it functions normally and they don't see any problems.

No remorse - I waited until I was morbidly obese and seeing great diminishment in the quality of my life before I had the surgery, and it made a huge improvement in my life.  I am so glad I did it, even at my advanced age (63)

I have been maintaining at 160 for about 1.5 years.  I found you need to take maintenance seriously and treat it like your original diet plan, just with a few more calories and a little more flexibility.  The surgery is a treatment for obesity but it doesn't cure it.  We will be watching our diets and calories the rest of our lives.  People who consider the diet done when they reach their target weight  often gain weight some a little, some a lot.  But I don't think it needs to happen.

best wishes in your weight loss journey.

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

acbbrown
on 1/15/16 7:55 am - Granada Hills, CA
On January 15, 2016 at 1:22 PM Pacific Time, mohamedwaly wrote:

hello

iam 37 BMI & i want to make the VSG and i have some questions:

1-have you any Complications in long term?

2-did you Remorse that you do this surgery?

3-did you regain your weight?or some of it?

thank you

I'm 4.5 yrs out. 

No I had no complications per se. I do deal with gerd but it's easily managed  

My only regret is that I didn't find Overeaters anonymous before  I had surgery. 

I gained a substantial amount of weight between 3-4 yrs out. However I'm having a rather easy time taking the regain off with the proper use of my tool. 

I didn't learn anything about this process till I started to gain weight. Life immediately post op and the first couple years were relatively easy and weight just fell off. But now I'm much more wise and will probably be more successful now. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

betterme2014
on 1/15/16 10:54 am - Canada

hey Alison,

seem to be asking you lots of questions!

How do you manage GERD?

acbbrown
on 1/15/16 11:06 am - Granada Hills, CA

60 mg of dexilant. It was very hard to get insurance coverage but it's a miracle drug. 

If it's really bad it's bc of my diet - acidic food, too much coffee or alcohol or I eat too much or I don't eat at all. All of those are things I can manage...when I want to. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

diane S.
on 1/15/16 12:19 pm

Hi I am 6 years out. No long term complications for me and absolutely no regrets.  This past year i have regained about 7 lbs out of 125 lost.  gotta work on that. As you get further out regain can happen if you relax vigilance. Its important to get those new habits well established in the early years. protein, water, exercise.    I was BMI 42, now 22.   diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

KathyA999
on 1/15/16 3:48 pm

Five and a half years out here.

1.  No complications whatsoever. 

2.  My only remorse is that I didn't do it sooner.

3.  If you follow your food plan, your weight will probably fall very low.  In my case it went 18 lbs below my goal weight, which I had picked out of the air.  And from that point you'll regain a little bit; it's called bounceback.  I fell to 132 and bounced up to 143, where I am today.  Bounceback regain is usually due to increased capacity as opposed to a change in type of food.  (Substantial regain is usually due to people who wander off the path, which is very easy to do.)

Maintenance isn't for sissies.  For me it's still protein first, veggies, dairy, fats, small amounts of fruits and nuts/seeds.  A rare foray into whole grains, legumes, and wine once in a while. An even rarer left turn to a dessert item here and there (maybe 3 times a year). And that's it.

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views