Wild Caught food

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 1:23 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

So my grandpa who is an avid fisher/hunter (we live in Idaho and it's a huge passion for most here) caught a ton of Kokanee also known as Sockeye salmon this fall with one of his fishing buddies. He gave me several pounds individually filleted and wrapped in that press and seal wrap. I know what I'll be eating a ton of for the next few weeks. So good. If you live in an area where fishing or hunting is a huge pass time (even if you don't enjoy it) befriend a fisherman/hunter. They will give you the most wonderful natural fresh foods even. Shame I don't like venison (it's too gamey tasting for me) because he was ready to give me some venison steaks too.  What is your guys and gals favorite wild caught food? Do you hunt/fish? 

Bufflehead
on 2/1/16 1:27 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I do not hunt or fish but I have to say that elk is my favorite meat ever! I've also heard good things about reindeer but haven't had the opportunity to try it.

As for fish, fresh wild trout cannot be beat IMO.

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 2:35 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I've never had elk! It's kinda hard to get an elk tag (from what I understand it' a drawing type scenario) and while my dad and my grandpa have both had elk tags before they have never gotten one. But I agree wild trout is delicious! Also bass (which I've only personally caught once myself) is amazing too!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/1/16 2:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Totally random perhaps, but there's a Cabela's in Post Falls with a restaurant inside. They have elk burgers, which are awesome. They also have buffalo, which is really good and doesn't taste gamey at all!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 2/1/16 1:37 pm - Warren, OH

I love cold packed wild salmon, fresh ocean tuna and Lake Erie walleye.  I never learned to like things like venison.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 2:37 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

White Dove you're a lady after my own heart if it swims/lives in a body of water I love eating it. I did grow up eating venison, but I was always made to eat it and when I got old enough to make my own food choices I would always choose against it. If I could afford to exist solely on seafood/fish I would.

breathemusic
on 2/1/16 1:42 pm

I've never had venison in steak form, but I've had it ground up instead of ground beef, and I love it in the form of a big bologna stick!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/1/16 2:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Being turned into a sausage makes almost everything better!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 2:39 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I have sad sausage in the past that was 50% venison 50% pork that wasn't too bad but it just isn't my taste overall. But glad you like it!

Neesie57
on 2/1/16 1:50 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I've only had venison once, many, many years ago, so don't even remember if I liked it or not.  My favorite wild caught foods are abalone, salmon and dungeness crab.  My summers in Oregon as a kid made me appreciate all of those wonderful ocean foods.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active