Frustrated, worried, anxiety setting in....

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 7:16 pm, edited 2/7/16 7:27 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

So I started pre-op liquid diet on feb 3rd, and my surgeon wanted me to lose 5 lbs before the 9th. I get on the scale every am, and it has not been budging, finally today I am down but only 1 pd!! 

I am following this thing to a fault. I am having SF jello, Atkins protein shakes,(3-4 day)  broth, Unjury chicken soup protein powder (yum) SF pops, SF italian ice , caffeine free coffee w/ splenda and 1% milk, and caffeine free tea with nothing added. I drink aprox 32-40 oz water... 

Today I had 3 shakes, broth, protein powder, and one sf jello cup plus a bunch of water.... this is why I get frustrated , I never lose weight, I feel like something is wrong with me... I have been tested for everything .. and nothing... this is why I have failed so many times, I get that why bother attitude, if I restrict so much and still cant lose than why do this to myself... 

I am going to keep trucking along, but if I do not get down 4 more pounds by tues my surgery may be postponed and i have worked too dang hard to get where I have... Please tell me everything is going to be ok lol.. I am soooo hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha 

hollykim
on 2/7/16 7:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2016 at 3:16 AM Pacific Time, jenn_marie72 wrote:

So I started pre-op liquid diet on feb 3rd, and my surgeon wanted me to lose 5 lbs before the 9th. I get on the scale every am, and it has not been budging, finally today I am down but only 1 pd!! 

I am following this thing to a fault. I am having SF jello, Atkins protein shakes,(3-4 day)  broth, Unjury chicken soup protein powder (yum) SF pops, SF italian ice , caffeine free coffee w/ splenda and 1% milk, and caffeine free tea with nothing added. I drink aprox 32-40 oz water... 

Today I had 3 shakes, broth, protein powder, and one sf jello cup plus a bunch of water.... this is why I get frustrated , I never lose weight, I feel like something is wrong with me... I have been tested for everything .. and nothing... this is why I have failed so many times, I get that why bother attitude, if I restrict so much and still cant lose than why do this to myself... 

I am going to keep trucking along, but if I do not get down 4 more pounds by tues my surgery may be postponed and i have worked too dang hard to get where I have... Please tell me everything is going to be ok lol.. I am soooo hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha 

try leaving off the milk. It might also Be the  Atkins shakes. How much carbs and sugar do they have? Premier protein are low calorie and carbs. Might be a. Better option. Hang in there.

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 7:37 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Hi, The Atkins Shakes are 2 Net carbs 1gm sugar and 160 calories, 9 fat... these were approved, I may have to get the Premier if they are lower cal and fat maybe, but these taste so dang good haha Thank you !! 

KatnMac
on 2/7/16 7:52 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

You know, when I was looking at all the labels, I noticed that Atkins had less protein and more calories than others. I noticed the same thing with some of the other weight loss shakes, too. I've been using premier protein for the pre-made shakes (easy at work) and then have a few other brands packed with protein, low carb and low cal that are powders. The Inspire ones are pretty good as well as Quest (that's the peanut butter one I wrote about). Also, instead of milk as creamer in my coffee, I started using flavored protein, and that cut out calories and is actually really yummy. (Note, make paste with powder and cold water and then gradually add ho****er, or else it curdles like when you make gravy without doing the roux correctly.)

My calories the last week have been between 600-800 per day, and the two weeks before that 800-1000 per day. I'm down 18 pounds, which im sure is why my dad thinks I can do this without surgery. I know, though, that if I wasn't going in for surgery, there is no way I'd have the will power right now to do this.

Do you like jello? If so, we've also been adding protein to the jello. It comes out kind of like jello1-2-3. Remember that stuff?!! Anyhow, fills me up and gives me something to chew (if you can call that chewing) lol.  I found that Walmart, of all places, had the best selection of sugar free jello.

oh, another yummy? A bottle of vanilla premier protein shake, a couple tablespoons of pistachio sugar free instant pudding and a few ice cubes whirred in the blender. At least it's totally different than the standard vanilla and chocolate.

take heart, you'll get through this. and one pond down is better than one pound up! You are doing everything you should. Try something other than the Atkins shakes.

AlanaHolt4
on 2/7/16 9:43 pm

KatnMac

Where did you find the quest powder and the flavored protein powder for coffe?

Thanks

Alana

KatnMac
on 2/7/16 10:22 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

Hi! I found them both at Super Supplements. Quest also has a salted caramel that they told me was super good; they have a hard time keeping it in stock. The protein I use in my coffee is a cafe latte flavor. 

AlanaHolt4
on 2/9/16 9:41 am

What is super supplements? A brick and mortar store or online?  Also what is unjury??

Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/16 12:48 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you, I am starting to use Unjury and I had some powder that I got a while back at whole foods which is lower in cals and carbs and fat. ... these are great pointers and I really appreciate it. helps so much!! 

thank you !!!

happyteacher
on 2/8/16 3:38 am

You are in the really sucky part right now, but you are totally doing it right- hang in there!!!!  Some of us who are insulin resistent have a hard time pulling weight off. I know in my case I started the preop diet 3 months early because I knew how slow it is for me. No joke- month 1 no loss and I was behaving. I just counted not gaining as a win, due to packing on pounds each month up to that point. I did lose enough by surgery. But, what I can say is that post op it will work. Looking back on it I did the very low carb thing for the first few weeks- had to stop due to low blood sugar, but the lack of carbs I do believe was helpful. Most of my weight loss phase I carefully managed carbs and as long as I am sticking to low glycemic options carefully spaced out I do fine. On the other hand, when I over do carbs I gain rapidly- I am coming off a recovery period and managed to gain 5 pounds in 1 week... carbs. I am not a "carbs are evil" type poster at all, but for those of us who are insulin resistent it does take careful management. Look for protein shakes that are uber low in carbs- some of them can really pack a ton in there. Good luck!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/16 12:41 pm, edited 2/8/16 4:43 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you! I seem to be very sensitive to carbs, I was following a low carb diet and noticed that even at 20-30 carbs I would not get into ketosis, (previous to this) I recently had been using lipton cup of soup creamy chicken and noticed the carbs were about 11 for each packet. so I stopped that, and it seemed to have kicked me into ketosis, I tested this am with my strips and I am in the almost purple range, which means moderate ketones present. 

I am not diabetic so I did not even think I could be insulin resistant, but it seems I must be? 

Thanks so much!!! 

Most Active