Starting my journey..

bb3nn3tt89
on 2/7/16 9:30 pm

Hello everyone! I have been looking into VSG for over a year but just recently really committed myself to really going for it. I still have to do my psych evaluation before I get to set up my surgery date but my doctor recommended I come here and talk to some people who have gone through the whole process to get an idea of what to expect/tips/etc.. I don't know anyone who has done this before, so I really only know what I have googled about or staff has told me so I would really like to hear from real experiences what I should expect, good/bad/etc.. how has it positively or negatively impacted your life? what was the worst part of the process? any advice on what to or not to do? Questions I should be asking the doctor/staff? I feel like every time I'm in there and they ask if I have questions, I always go completely blank. I really appreciate any and all replies! :)

kyzze
on 2/7/16 10:20 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Congratulations on deciding to get VSG. I am pretty new, I just had my surgery on 12/29, so I don't have a lot of experience but I can say that I am happy I made this decision. The whole process takes a lot of commitment and adjustment but it is well worth it! The worst part of the whole process I would say is the liquid diet stage, it's just awful but everyone has to go through it. Hopefully you won't have any complications, most don't, but if you do, just remember that it is temporary and the wonderful people on this site will help you through it. To be successful, follow your surgeons orders to the T. I can't think of anything else right now but know that you have made a wonderful decision and I hope that everything goes well. 

bb3nn3tt89
on 2/8/16 5:32 am

Thank you, and congratulations to you as well! I think the liquid diet part is going to be the toughest part, mainly because I'll still be cooking every day. I think right now I'm more worried about the psych evaluation. Not that I'm crazy or anything, just the purely irrational fear that they will tell me no. I guess just the fear that anything will keep me from being able to do this. I am very glad my doctor told me about this site though, I did some reading through different posts and everyone seems very supportive and encouraging, it's a nice change of pace! 

Wanda1118
on 2/8/16 2:12 am
VSG on 07/09/14

Hi and welcome to this site. I had my sleeve done 18 months ago and lost 100 pounds the first year. They call the first year the honeymoon stage because it's easier to lose the weight the first year, so take advantage of it. I have fallen off the wagon (so to speak) but hopefully will be back on soon. The surgery is pretty easy. I had some burning that was uncomfortable and I think it was from the band the hospital gave me to wear. They give you drugs in the hospital and send you home with some also. If you need them, by all means take it! I stayed over night in the hospital and when they released me there was no wheel chair for them to take me down with so I rode the elevator down and walked out of the hospital. It is so much easier to get around now. I don't run out of breath and have to sit down every 15 steps. I now enjoy getting out and doing things. I still have a problem going to the smaller size section at the store..I still go to the 44-46 sizes! Then realize I can't wear them. It's a nice feeling..

Congrats on making up your mind to have a VSG! Just remember to do what you are told by your surgeon and you will be fine...Please keep us posted as we will be interested in how you are doing on your new journey.

bb3nn3tt89
on 2/8/16 5:45 am

Thank you so much! Congratulations to you on how far you've come, I can't wait to not be able to fit my clothes anymore because they're too big and not the other way around. 

The surgery doesn't so much worry me as the recovery does. Mainly the starting to eat again vs. How it affects your stomach. With all of the staples, is there discomfort when eating/after? How was your appetite? I've heard from a couple people that they didn't really get hungry until after a few months, they mostly had to force themselves to eat anything. Also, I'm curious, I know you have to take a multi vitamin and they recommend B12, but were there any other supplements that you had to take?

Sandra F.
on 2/8/16 6:09 am

How has it positively or negatively impacted your life? What was the worst part of the process?

It has very positively impacted my life.  I am down 114 lbs, have WAY more energy, can do things that I could not before like amusement park rides, etc, and generally feel WAY better about my self image.  The worst part of the process for me was the pre-op diet and first month after surgery.  I was absolutely STARVING the whole time on the pre-op diet and dehydrated the first month, which caused nausea.  I also became lactose intolerant for a short time after surgery and since I happen to love milk and cheese, this was an issue for me. 

Any advice on what to do or not to do?

In the first month, definitely concentrate on getting your water in.  It is extremely difficult at first because your tummy is all swollen, so sip, sip, sip and sip some more.  Also, I wish I had taken my measurements before hand and better pre-op pictures, so that I can see how my body has changed.  I, like many others, still think of myself as fat and everyone is telling me that I am skinny (they are just being nice, I don't think 174 lbs qualifies me as skinny quite yet). 

Questions I should be asking the doctor/staff?

I know this is a morbid question, but I would ask if they have had any patients that died or that had leaks or other complications after surgery.  I would also ask how many surgeries they have performed and what capacity your stomach will be after surgery. 

Even with the issues I had the first month, the positives WAY outweigh the negatives and I would definitely do this again.  I have some extra skin and when I finish losing and my weight has stabilized (a couple years down the road), I may look into plastics, but I am so happy with where I am now.  Good luck to you on your decision.

acbbrown
on 2/8/16 6:27 am - Granada Hills, CA

I wish I would have asked about post op care and how involved the surgeon is 6-9 mo 1yr + down the line. Or what resources he/his team has to offer. My surgeon was a "cut open and done" kind of surgeon. He referred me to a "dietician" who offered me no kind of plan beyond the mushy phase except to give me a food pyramid. He had no plan to help his patients get to goal. He also had no stats on how many of his patients ever reached goal or maintained X% of weight loss - even though his office called me every year for 3 years to find out my weight lol. Try to find a surgeon who will be involved beyond the actual surgery and find one who runs active support groups. If you can, talk to patients of his, get a good idea about his skill and post op support. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

JudithJohnson
on 2/9/16 7:27 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Hi, welcome to the site! I was sleeved on 12/3/15. At a little over 2 months out I am down 47 lbs and I feel better then I have been in a long, long time. Whe I was at my heaviest 2 months ago, I could not do 5 steps without severe back pain. Now I walk at least a mile every day without too many problems and life is only getting better as I go. I didn't have a pre-op liquid diet but I was told that part is the hardest. Once I was past the first few hours of my surgery (in which I was extremely nauseous) things have only gotten better and better and better. This site is my "go to" when I struggle, and I have started a facebook page where I document my journey where I can easily track back on hard days, to see how far I have come already. The worst part of the process for me was the extreme nausea after surgery, but it was only for a few hours. Once I was home that totally stopped. 

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

Most Active