Hungrier than usual...

msecanales
on 2/10/16 6:18 pm

The past few days, I have noticed I am "more hungry" than usual.. and more often. I have stuck to the diet and have not eaten more than 800 calories per day.   I ate 2 oz of fish yesterday and still felt hungry after I ate it. I stopped and at the other 2 oz for dinner. So, for the past week, I have been hungry just about all day long. Very weird! I have been doing great on my water- about 70 oz a day. My question is, is this normal? Possible hormone changes? I guess the way we go through stalls, do we go through moments where we are hungrier than other times? 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

LosinginAZ
on 2/10/16 6:37 pm

I feel your pain. Are you getting enough protein?  A couple sips of protein always make my hunger go away. Also it could be stomach acid, are you taking your PPI? 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

msecanales
on 2/10/16 6:44 pm

I usually eat about 70-80 grams of protein a day. Not having any reflux acid issues. I may snack on some more edamame... since its the healthiest thing I can think of..

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

poplargreys
on 2/10/16 6:46 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Right around 3/4 months out is when I needed my doc to tweak my PPI prescription to deal with excess acid. Many of us feel 'hunger' when our acid production isn't controlled properly, so talk to your doc about getting or adjusting the meds you're taking.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 7:06 pm

There are several possibilities of what's going on. You've heard the PPI possibility. There is also the possibility that you are experiencing an emotional hunger. Are you stressed or out of routine or upset by anything the past few days? Something to ponder. 

The other very possible explanation would be you're experiencing your first increase in capacity. From what many people report there are 3, sometimes 4, main jumps in capacity. The first is usually around 3 to 4 months (right where you fall), the next between 6 and 8 months, the third around a year out and for many, but not all, close to 18 months out is when the sleeve reaches its final capacity. (Mine settled at about 12 months and has stayed fairly constant since then.)

My guess would be that unless you are feeling sort of a grumbling, empty feeling very shortly after eating, but instead are feeling unsatisfied with your meals and as if they are not enough to keep you sated and therefore you're tempted to graze, you've had a minor increase in capacity. I went back and looked at my food log and it was right around this time that my protein portions went from 2 to 2.5 ounces.

Just my two cents.

Neesie57
on 2/10/16 8:31 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I agree with you Kairk, at about 5 months I was able to increase my protein from 2 ounces to almost 3 ounces, depending on the density of the protein.  If I eat one boiled egg, I feel satisfied, but if I eat chicken or tuna, I can eat about 3 ounces.  I don't know why my stomach treats them differently, but I've been like that for a while now.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

White Dove
on 2/10/16 11:03 pm - Warren, OH

Your sleeve is like a new born baby.  At first it takes very little to fill it up but as time goes on the sleeve grows larger and reaches its full size at about one year.  As the sleeve gets larger it will take more food to keep from feeling hungry. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

L. 68
on 2/11/16 7:42 am

does the sleeve stretch back to the regular size??

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

FuturePinUp
on 2/11/16 8:12 am

No. It can never stretch back to how it was. As a matter of fact, most recent studies show that the sleeve doesn't stretch at all! Most of the stretchy stomach tissue is removed during surgery so what's left isn't really stretchable. This only applies to VSG though, as in RNY, the pouch definitely can stretch.

Most people do get increased capacity over time, but more so due to the sleeve maturing (completely healing, no more swelling, etc.). 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

L. 68
on 2/11/16 8:15 am

That is great news FuturePinUp  i needed to read this...  cause i was already thinking if this stretches what next.  

thank you.  you settled my nerves..          im   now.

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

Most Active