Just getting started...

ds123
on 2/12/16 11:45 am

Hello~ Sooooo....it has taken a while for me to get here. My relationship with food, my body and my weight started over 30 years ago as a tween and we've been loving and hating each other ever since. I finally see this procedure as a tool and not an escape as it surely is NOT the easy way out of obesity. I've only met with the surgeon and attended an information session so far but all of my pre-op testing will be scheduled next. The doctor says I could probably have the surgery by April if all pre-testing goes well. Is it normal for me to be nervous and wonder if I'm making the right decision? Sometimes I am so excited and just want to get to it and other times I am so worried about complications and side effects like gerd and hair loss. I worry about complications and then becoming so sick that I'm incapacitated or worse and then my children will be without me. On the other hand, being so heavy is putting me at risk for not being with them as long as I should in the first place. I quit smoking 10 years ago to be healthier and here I am holding onto 70 pounds...I am 42, 5'2" (being a little generous there ;-)) and I have around 70lbs to lose. My issue isn't usually the quality of the foods I eat, but the quantity. Closet eating has not been outside the realm of my capabilities... I've had so many people say to me "just stop eating" or "just put the fork down". Right. If it was that easy for me, I would not be where I am.  Has anyone else had the same concerns pre-op and have you been through anything post op that no one warned you about? What kind of questions did you ask your surgeon and bariatric team? Thanks for any info you guys may have. I've been reading posts for a few weeks now and you all seem very helpful and supportive!

Bufflehead
on 2/12/16 12:15 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Yes, I think your feelings are pretty much what many of us feel! And it is easy to get distracted by hair loss and GERD and the incredibly remote possibility of serious or fatal complications instead of focusing on what is a lot more likely: early death due to obesity-related complications if we don't have surgery.

I know a family who right now is grieving the loss of their husband and father, who died last week. He died of a heart attack at age 41 with no previous known heart problems, leaving his widow (a stay at home mom) and 3 sons under the age of 12. He was hugely, morbidly obese. I don't have much doubt that if he had gotten his weight under control he would still be here to take care of his family.

skinnygirlinside
on 2/12/16 5:41 pm

Hi there!  I am right there with you!  I meet with my surgeon March 2nd and feel the exact same way as you.  I am excited, but honestly, utterly terrified of the negative side effects (I know that they are few and far between, though).  I am 41, soon to be 42 in March, and am a single mom to a sweet 17 year old daughter.  We have no other family...at al.  I am terrified of leaving her behind, but I am afraid if I don't take charge of my life now, I will leave her behind no matter what.  I don't know if you are religious or not, but I am praying about this every day and night.  I am researching everything and am hopeful that my surgeon  will put me at ease.  Regardless, know you are not alone!  Best wishes on your journey :)

Most Active