Any Diabetic Sleevers here?

Dsmgold
on 2/23/16 11:10 am
VSG on 03/01/16

I was wondering what my Sleeving will do for my Diabetics.  I am a 54 year old Male 6-04 301 pounds.  I have reduced my insulin intake LANTUS (slow acting) to 60 units per day during this 1000 call pre surgery diet.  Plus I am on 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day and Glipizide twice a day.  I have been diabetic for about 15 years.

I have been getting an average of 150 carbs per day and 80 protein per day for the last week.

Any Type II diabetics out there have anything to say on this matter.  Generally anyway.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/23/16 11:26 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I was diagnosed two years ago as type 2, which is what finally got me off the fence about wls. When I was diagnosed my a1c was 14, I was on levimer base line of 60 a day plus novalog sliding scale (usually up to 80 units a day) and a weekly 2mg dose of bydureon.

My last dose of insulin was the day after surgery in the hospital (I was given 2 units of novalog) and I haven't needed any since, my sugars run in the mid 70's to high 80's..  I hope it continues. 

obioxiupa
on 2/23/16 1:47 pm

I have type 2, and was diagnosed 2.5 years ago.  At the time my A1C was 8, and I'm on metformin and Januvia, and and my a1c is between 7 & 7.5.  My surgeon recommended RNY for me because he feels the outcome for diabetes is better with RNY, but I'm more comfortable with the VSG, and there are certainly many folks that have great outcomes with diabetes and the VSG.  Here's hoping we are some of them!

hollykim
on 2/23/16 4:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM Pacific Time, Dsmgold wrote:

I was wondering what my Sleeving will do for my Diabetics.  I am a 54 year old Male 6-04 301 pounds.  I have reduced my insulin intake LANTUS (slow acting) to 60 units per day during this 1000 call pre surgery diet.  Plus I am on 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day and Glipizide twice a day.  I have been diabetic for about 15 years.

I have been getting an average of 150 carbs per day and 80 protein per day for the last week.

Any Type II diabetics out there have anything to say on this matter.  Generally anyway.

I was diagnosed with Type II,10 years ago and had VSG 6 years ago. 

My blood sugar was normal the night of the morning I had surgery and has remained normal ever since. 

I would encourage you to start dropping those carbs way down as you approach surgery.

SDenae
on 2/23/16 5:45 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I am Type 2. Pre-surgery, I was on Metformin, Farxiga, and Levemir (and something else I can't remember the name of) and my sugar levels were still not under control. I had also tried Victoza and Bydureon with no luck.

The day of my surgery, my doc took me off of all of my diabetes meds and I haven't gone back on them to this day. My A1c dropped from 11 pre-surgery to 6.8 a month after surgery.

My doctor believes that, if I keep the weight off, I could be non-symptomatic for a very long time. As of now, he says I am in remission, but there is no true cure for diabetes.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

animallover1247
on 2/23/16 6:15 pm

Hi

I have been diabetic for about 12-13 years, insulin dependent for about 8. Before surgery I was on Lantus, Humalog and Trulicity. 

I had surgery one week ago today. I've only had to take very small amounts of  Humalog (5-10 units and only one time a day) and this was only on 2 or 3 of the days. My fasting sugars with no insulin at all are 150. I am completely off of the Lantus and Trulicity.

I am only one week out from surgery and I feel as though I will soon be able to get off the meds completely. 

I will tell you something that may help you. My surgeon did tell me since I am diabetic, bypass is the gold standard for curing diabetes. I told him I was aware of that but I did not want to have bypass. He then asked about my A1c numbers. I told him my last two were 5.9 and 6.3. After I told him that, he was fine with the VSG and told me he thought I was making the right decision with having the sleeve and he thought I would do well.  So....I draw the conclusion the better you've controlled your diabetes, it is more likely you will have success with the sleeve. The highest A1c I've ever had is 7.5 or 7.6. Of course that's not to say if your A1c's have been high that you can't do well with the sleeve either. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views