38 days til surgery

Anita
on 4/28/16 2:08 pm

Excited? Yes....Nervous? Yes......Happy? Yes.....Did I mention nervous???

AND....in the middle of all this stuff I have to do, I woke up yesterday with no hearing in my left ear....like ZERO sound, so I spent most of the day in the doctor's office being tested and all sorts of stuff. Nerve damage in my inner ear.......so, I'm on oral steroids for the next 12 days and have a 50/50 chance of getting my hearing back. If the oral stuff doesn't work, they are going to go with an injection (UGH)....and if that doesn't work, I'll be looking at hearing aids.

I saw my surgeon today and showed him the script I'm taking and asked if we are still okay for June 6......he said we're fine even if I have to do the steroid injection. He said not to worry.....even if I have to go with a hearing aid, they're so good now that it will be an easy transition. Sure....easy for him to say. Hopefully the steroids will work their magic for me.

On the "UP" side.......I had a colonoscopy scheduled for next week (routine test, not for any suspected problem) and I had to reschedule for later in the month because it's not a good idea to do that while on steroids...............awwwwwwwwww......so disappointed (not really) that I can put off the prep for a few more weeks. That for sure is the worst part of the colonoscopy....ugh!!!

Now, back to my 38 day lead time........I know that the hospital will provide most of what I need for my overnight stay (during which I suspect I'll do a lot of sleeping) (at least while I'm in between sipping and walking).....what else did you all find you needed, either that you knew about bringing or realized afterwards that you should have brought?

Thanks....did I mention that I'm excited AND nervous? and happy too?

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

White Dove
on 4/28/16 3:57 pm - Warren, OH

I lost my hearing overnight in my left ear about 4 years ago.  The injections restored about 60% and I use a hearing aid.  The ear doctor said the chances of that type of hearing loss happening are like 4 in 100,000.  I am glad you are getting treatment.  Sometimes they can restore 100% of the hearing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Anita
on 4/28/16 4:11 pm

Thanks for your response.....I'm hopeful that this will be resolved..........it just happened overnight......I guess it's true that once you go over the hill you pick up speed.......and things start to fall apart.....UGH

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 4:27 pm

Have you had a hip replacement?

Odd question, I know, but a good friend had your symptoms and it turned out to be metal toxicity from her new hip that destroyed her ear. 

Anita
on 4/28/16 4:32 pm

nope.....LOL.....all original parts

White Dove
on 4/28/16 4:23 pm - Warren, OH

It is caused by a virus and your body was just too weak that day to fight it off.  The same viru****s people and they fight it off.  It can happen to a young person also. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Anita
on 4/28/16 4:34 pm

exactly......it's a virus.............I had an episode about 16 years ago that left me with nerve damage, but no hearing loss......mostly I'm spoiled because I've been extremely lucky in that other than weight that has plagued me for the past umpteen years, I've been quite healthy.

Anita
on 4/28/16 9:37 pm

and so much for my over the hill theory....LOL

ejirish
on 4/29/16 4:03 am

Mine is may 23rd.. I'm nervous! Happy! (nervous)... I also have ear "issues"... I'm 43 and about 5 years ago I started developing inner ear skin infections... ears are weird! 

Good luck to us!

Kris R.
on 4/29/16 8:06 am - Walworth, NY

Bring a power cord, and music.  I listened to Pandora on my phone for the entire time I was in the hospital.  It was wonderful, I could change stations ect and the free wi-fi in the hospital, I didn't chew up my data plan.  Oh and bring a pear of shorts for those walks.  Don't wanna be flashing anyone :).  All of you have this.. I'm almost 3 months out and it is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Most Active