Surgery Wednesday and I am terrified

Momofthreeinwis
on 5/2/16 12:52 pm
VSG on 05/04/16

I have never been put under and that is really freaking me out.  What if I wake up during surgery?  What if I don't wake up?  I can't believe how frightened I am.  Did anyone else go through this?  What did you do?  On top of it I am getting a cold so now I am even more concerned.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/2/16 1:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was in a similar boat, to the extent that I wrote up "goodbye" letters and stuck them on the fridge for a worst-case scenario. TOTALLY panicked. My surgeon said it was good that I was freaked out-- it meant I understood what a big deal this is.

An anesthesiologist needs a RIDICULOUS amount of training to do their job. They're experts a****ching your vitals and making sure you stay asleep-- and wake up afterwards. They just look after that part of the surgery, without doing any of the actual procedure.

If something happens when they put you under and it's dangerous? They can wake you back up without doing the procedure. Yeah, it would suck to not have surgery, but if there's some sort of life-threatening weirdness going on, they'll back out to play it safe.

Talk to someone about your fears. Call the office, see if you can chat with the surgeon, a nurse, a PA, anybody. Chat with a friend or family member, write out an advance directive or notes about your last wishes if someone might need them. If you're religious, see if you can get in touch with somebody at your church/temple/whatever and have a chat.

You're not alone. You can do this!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/16 1:37 pm

WLS was not my first surgery but when I had my first one I was scared I would never wake up. Boy it was a nice surprise to wake up and be told it was over, even if my gut hurt like crazy (bladder surgery far worse than WLS). As I prepared for that one I just kept telling myself the Drs have done this over and over. I am healthy and I will be fine.

I think most of us are scared of the unknown and surgery is the unknown. But sometimes we have to take a risk of faith, trust and just "do it".  You will see the anesthesiologist before the surgery. Ask him/her if there is any chance you could wake up and I am sure that person can explain why that is very unlikely. You won't be the first person to ask so don't be nervous about that.

I am sure your surgeons office is used to this and can offer help and support. Give them a call. I am sure you will also gets lots more replies with support and encouragement here.

All will be fine  and before you know it you will be back here telling us it is over! Good luck.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/2/16 5:00 pm

Chances are good you will get to talk to the anesthesiologist at least for a few moments. Tell one of the nurses your fears, and ask if the doctor can spare a bit of extra time for you to help relieve your fears.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Happytiger
on 5/2/16 6:23 pm
VBG on 05/11/16

i am feeling the exact same way! i have never been under anesthesia and am really scared. basically, i have no experience or advice to share with you, but you are not alone. i just keep saying to myself that there are hundreds of operations a day at my hospital (ok, maybe tens, but whatever) and i have not heard about any of them on the news...i am exactly one week behind you, so i'll be looking out for your 'after' post! stay strong!

Ray R.
on 5/2/16 8:07 pm - Paterson, NJ

you'll do ok....Ive had several surgeries, Lap band, hiatal hernia and was honestly slightly terrified. But just focus on the end goal, think positive and remind yourself why you're doing this. It sounds cliche, but it was what got me through, and then the anesthesiologist also could give you a little something for the nerves 

Darcy G.
on 5/2/16 8:13 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Anesthesia is scary. I've now had six surgeries requiring GA, and it still freaks me out more than the idea of surgery. For me, the fear is about the utter helplessness of going under. Complete loss of control... Is scary.

That said, on the morning of surgery, when you're being prepped, ask for something to calm you down. And it wouldn't hurt to see your PCP and ask for a little nervous medicine to let you rest the few days prior. Low dose Ativan would help.

You can have confidence in your surgeon and still be scared. But if your team/surgeon didn't think you've got really low odds of GA-danger, they wouldn't be willing to put you under and do the procedure.

*hugs and are the spare good vibes I can muster* 

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/3/16 5:39 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Only surgery I've had was a shoulder surgery. I was afraid of surgery because of my brother passing away after surgery while still in hospital. They knew this, so they gave me an injection to help calm me down. It didnt make me numb or anything (mentally), but i was definitely a little relaxed. Then I went into the operating room, helped them move my big body from the gurney to the operating table, they said see ya in a few seconds and i was OUT for the count lol. I was awake, then all of a sudden I woke up! Like no time passed... Had to sit in a room as I woke up and gained consciousness. Wasnt a big deal.

See if they can do something like that for you :) I know I'll be asking at my preop appointment tomorrow

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

cupofjavaVSG
on 5/4/16 8:59 pm

I hope it went well!!!

P goode
on 5/10/16 5:46 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

Well it's been a week! How is it going? Want to hear?

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Most Active