How long between your first visit and your operation to get the sleeve done

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/16 8:58 am

I know eat situation is different, but I am curious.  I go tomorrow to see the doctor about getting the sleeve done and due to my BMI I am a candidate, so I want to know how long to people generally have to wait to get the actual surgery.  

Kathy S.
on 5/3/16 9:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to OH...

We hope your surgeon was able to answer all your questions.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Stacy_WLS
on 5/3/16 9:57 am

For me it was only about a month.  I was self pay and pushed hard to have it done in that timeline.  I wanted to line it up with a break in projects at work.  

In retrospect, having more time to prepare & focus on better food choices ahead of time would have been good.  With insurance it can take a lot longer.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Nikke2003
on 5/3/16 11:16 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I was one week shy of six months between first appointment and surgery. My clinic and my insurance required me to do a six month supervised diet. It was a great opportunity to start changing my lifestyle!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

obioxiupa
on 5/3/16 4:10 pm

9 months....and I had completed the 6 month diet before that 9 months, but because it took so long to get through everything and my insurance changed in the middle I had to start over.  It felt like forever.

jmay86
on 5/3/16 4:21 pm
VSG on 03/03/16

I dont know my first visit date, only that it was in April 2015... my surgery was nearly a year later, on 3/3/16...

Darcy G.
on 5/3/16 6:37 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Seminar was late April 2015. Surgery was April 7, 2016.

I had a six month supervised diet for insurance too, then with Christmas slowing things down didn't get approved unti a couple months after the six month diet.

About year for me!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

JTMGPW
on 5/3/16 9:06 pm

Two and a half years for me. Surgery is next week!! First time it took forever to go through the program insurance required and then they denied my request for surgery (8mo). Tried to lose weight seriously for a year after that, no good progress. Health problems got worse, I said no more and revisited the issue with insurance. That was September 2015 when I started down this road again. Insurance again denied me for a frivolous reason, went through two levels of appeal and finally got approval this time. 8more months. Insurance can be real difficult if you have a bad plan. Do your best to follow every single thing they say you need to do, don't be afraid to fight them hard if they still find loopholes.

G3andBsMOM
on 5/4/16 5:08 am

I was a self pay.  I was 6 weeks between first meeting and surgery.

Kara D.
on 5/4/16 5:26 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I was 5 months from first appointment, but from the initial contact with the Bariatric center at Cleveland Clinic I was 9 months. But the wait gave me plenty of time to research my decision and options and get my frame of mind ready to live with the changes coming in eating and lifestyle. 

Good luck, it is well worth the time it takes to get to your surgery date!

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views