Gearing up for surgery and have lots of questions

steffie7303
on 5/5/16 9:07 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Good morning everyone!! I am gearing up for the VSG surgery in August.  I have lots of question but I will just ask one or two at a time..   :)  I am  wondering how much will I possible lose in the first month or two?  The reason I ask is because I have serious knee problems and the weight is not helping it.. So the sooner I can get it off the happier my knee will be.. 

thank you in advance.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/5/16 10:53 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Hi Steffie. No idea how much... Depends on weight... height... Body fat percentage... How much you adhere to the change/restriction. 

Should be a decent amount. Either way, the answer is: you'll be losing a good amount quickly, so your knee should start feeling tip top pretty quick :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/5/16 12:02 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It fluctuates depending on your weight at surgery, how your body retains fluids, how well you stick to your program, etc.

My surgery weight was 392.  I lost 31 lbs the first month, and 14 lbs the second month.  I would say that I am NOT the norm for this, however. Most people lose substantially less.

The reason I finally decided to have surgery was because of constant knee pain.  I ate vicodin and naproxyn daily.  After I lost weight, the pain mostly went away.  I still have slight pain in my left knee, but the right knee feels great.  I no longer take any drugs for pain.

Good luck 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/5/16 12:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Everyone is different. It'll depend quite a bit on your starting BMI, final goal, body composition, and how well you adhere to your post-op diet. It's not uncommon, though, to lose 20lb or so in your first month.

Many of us are in a big hurry to lose weight, but the reality is that it goes slowly. After all, we didn't put all of our weight on in a few weeks, so we won't lose it in a few weeks. After the initial month, most people lose 1 or 2lb per week, slow and steady.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Darcy G.
on 5/5/16 1:45 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

My 1 mo anniversary is Saturday, and as of today I've lost 26 pounds down from 282 surgery day.

However, I have been monstrously sick the past month, unable to eat/drink much. My complications increased my weight loss... (And were still, but I am working on it!)

If you want to play with your numbers but hate math.. There's a page called Post Op Planner you can find a link to in the menu at the top of the screen, under Resources. Let's you input height and weight along with a averaged projected weight-loss per month postop.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Most Active