Any advice for a frustrated person

jmuehler1984
on 5/20/16 12:00 pm
VSG on 03/04/16

I was sleeved on 3/24. I have since lost 50 pounds. But now for the last two weeks I lost nothing any one else have this problem I have followed my diet and exercise plan but no weight change any suggestions?

Ivorybird
on 5/20/16 1:16 pm - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

It sounds like a stall.  We all go through this at one time or another.  Sometimes your body has to "catch its breath" on the way down and you don't lose for a week or two.

Stay the course.  If you are truly following your plan the scale will move again.  It is truly frustrating, but it's all part of the process. 

Good luck!

Surgery Date 9/19/13 Dr. Cirangle

HW 267.8  SW 261 GW 155 Blog:http://onwardanddownwardsf.weebly.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/20/16 2:45 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

After the major initial weight loss, our bodies slow down. Most people have at least a few spots where the scale doesn't move for a week or two, and if you let it get to your head every time, you'll be in serious trouble.

Patience is the name of the game. You've lost 50lb in two months!

If you're concerned, you might want to check the "what are you eating" threads. Sometimes the things you THINK are on plan are actually not the best choices.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/21/16 2:21 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I decided from the beginning to only weigh once a month (on my surgiversary). During the month I focus on how clothes are fitting to assess progress.  It keeps me from going crazy and being frustrated during stalls.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Steven S.
on 5/21/16 3:16 am - Houston, TX

I feel that people get too bogged down in the numbers without realizing what those numbers represent.  50lbs in 2 month is extraordinary!  You should google search what 50lbs of fat looks like, and then go hold a 50lb weight at the gym.

My suggestion is trust in your new life style, and the weight will come off.

happyteacher
on 5/21/16 4:27 am

Just hang in there. As long as you are certain you are at your target calories, getting your protein and water in, it will pass. Many of us change from a steady loss to a stair step pattern. In my case I would go up to 21 days with no loss, but then lose 10 pounds or so in 3 days, then another 14 day with no loss, several pounds in a couple day period. Hang in there. 50 pounds in 3 months is great!

Make sure you are weighing and measuring though- portion creep happens, and slipping in a few extra calories here and there add up. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

katblue
on 5/21/16 7:38 am
VSG on 04/06/16

What I learned about stalls....

The Inevitable Stall

By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

I also think that you'll notice during stalls that you're surprised that you haven't lost weight because you CAN feel a difference in your body.  Many suggest that you track measurements because even though the scale isn't moving, your body is still changing and getting smaller. 

What I have learned from those who have achieved their goals is that it is important to follow these guidelines

calories - 800 / carbs  75 / water >64

And if you stick to the plan, your body will lose weight.  I believe in the process!

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views