Why 64oz of water?

krich5
on 5/23/16 4:23 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am new here. I'm researching the VSG. I see tha****er is very important after surgery (though I know we should be drinking water before), but what are the benefits of getting your water in after surgery? Is the reasoning different than for someone who hasn't had surgery?

yvonnef1964
on 5/23/16 5:10 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

You don't want to get dehydrated  after surgery, otherwise you will end back in the hospital.

krich5
on 5/23/16 5:13 pm

Thanks for the reply ?

Sandra F.
on 5/24/16 5:45 am

Trust me, coming from someone who was dehydrated after surgery, you don't want to go there.  I was nauseous for a month after surgery, no matter what I "ate" because of the dehydration.  It is important.

hollykim
on 5/24/16 7:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 23, 2016 at 11:23 PM Pacific Time, krich5 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I am new here. I'm researching the VSG. I see tha****er is very important after surgery (though I know we should be drinking water before), but what are the benefits of getting your water in after surgery? Is the reasoning different than for someone who hasn't had surgery?

drinking plenty of water helps to flush the  burned fat away

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/24/16 8:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Several reasons. The first is that because we're eating less, and people in general get a bit of hydration from the food they eat, we need extra water.

Additionally, fat is excreted through urine, sweat, and our breath. (Yes, really.) So keeping the fluids circulating is helpful.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

psychoticparrot
on 5/24/16 4:51 pm

In addition to all the good reasons given above, an abundance of water is necessary to properly metabolize high amounts of protein.

Excerpt from https://www.sharecare.com/health/water-and-the-body/why-wate r-high-protein-diet

"When protein is digested, waste products, such as uric acid, remain in the system and have to be eliminated. In theory, eating higher amounts of protein foods would increase the amount of waste products and cause discomfort to certain people. In fact, the human organs, and particularly the kidneys, have mechanisms for elimination and are perfectly suited to this task. But for the kidneys to work efficiently, it is absolutely necessary that they have an increased quantity of water. The kidneys will filter and remove uric acid from our blood, provided that we increase our normal consumption of water."

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

krich5
on 5/24/16 6:34 pm

Thank you so much everyone! Great information! It helps me to understand why things are so important and not just do something because I am told. Thank you again for the reasoning behind needing to get in all your water for the day.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views